Your Every Click is a Clue about You

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by TheKid7, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Your Every Click is a Clue about You:
    http://www.hotforsecurity.com/blog/your-every-click-is-a-clue-about-you-5326.html

2. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

I don't find this article surprising at all. It only reinforces my belief that we live under an Orwellian Police state. The only reason the government gives people free speech is so that they can surveillance and monitor everything we do. And then throw us in jail once they think we are too much of a challenge to the status quo.

3. internet addict

internet addict Registered Member

There's no such thing as privacy, unfortunately.

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

It's really quite simple :)

You have your IRL identity. It's just like everyone else, with Facebook, Linkedin etc accounts, shops at Amazon, etc, etc.

You do use a VPN service, but that's no longer very unusual.

What is unusual is that you use chains of multiple VPNs and Tor through that VPN. Whenever you need an online presence, to pursue some interest or whatever, you create a new pseudonym, with an email address. Some of them have addresses, phone numbers, credit cards, Bitcoin accounts, etc.

So yes, "Your Every Click is a Clue about You". But it gets complicated when there are many "you"s, with generally non-overlapping activities and interests. There are ways to establish correlations via semantic analysis etc, but distinguishing one privacy freak from another isn't easy. We all tend to rant about the same stuff ;)

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I agree - that's the ticket. Get lost in plain sight. There used to be a Windows program about 10 years ago that would run in the background - as a browser - randomly clicking on sites and clicking links for X number of seconds, minutes and then move on to other sites. The whitelisted sites (which you could add to or remove) were sites like Ladies Home Journal, Good Housekeeping, Disney, clean joke sites....you get the idea. It could run for an hour and then not at all for a day - or - it could run pretty much all the time during certain times...very configurable. Does anyone else remember that? Remember what it was called? There's the basis for a pretty cool little app today.

6. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

wonder why something like that is no longer available. seems like the perfect thing to let run for hours at a time and polluting their data profiles of people.

i know there was a TrackMeNot browser add-on that sent random search requests to google etc every so many seconds.

7. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

dont really see the need for this if you just use addons like refcontrol and requestpolicy and one time use cookies , and btw guys , dont know if you actually red the article but its about social networks , if you dont use them theres no need to worry about any of this so called establishing correlations, i suggest to use the excellent addon called collusion to see what sites are tracking you, i do like the idea of a addon that does these random search requests thou

seems like a neat idea

8. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Well considering that more or less everything we do is monitored in some form or another then george orwell was correct in his vision.:D

9. happyyarou666

yeah sad but true , no suprise thou

10. c2d

c2d Registered Member

Indeed.

11. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Then could track me all they want but they will get confused as I am all over the place and never on any particular site very often except for wilders and for that I am doomed.;)A good doomed.Any other interest I have are very Extreme, I like so may different things that they are not even remotely close to being related that they cant get a handle on me.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  12. happyyarou666

lols same here xD

13. BBCooper

BBCooper Registered Member

I vaguely remember something. Can you share the name with us when you remember it? :D

14. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

and the data mining companies (there are over 600 now) will eventually buy each other and merge and consolidate their data on you. and then there will be companies that decide to post people's profile data on the internet for free (maybe ad-supported) or for a few bucks and many will argue they have right to do this under "free speech".

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013
  15. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

This thread is now doomed, I think :(

But please let me add, in a totally non-political way, that (in large part) database and statistical methodologies were invented (in the 1800s) to allow governments to track their people. Think productive capacity, markets, taxes, military conscription, and so on. With some digging, I could maybe remember a great book on this.

16. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

The aforementioned "Windows program" was not - it was a Firefox plugin that I used on my WinXP SP2 Pro and earlier (I think) Win98SE platforms - as I recall. I'll have to check my archive to see what it was as I no longer run a Windows platform.

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.