Yet another question for the experts ...

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Acadia, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

... and I'm not sure if it is really possible to know the answer to this one, but just in case one of you can surprise me as you have so many times before, I'm gonna ask it. :)

I have two old mirror imaging programs on my system: Powerquest (remember them!) DriveImage 7 and Acronis version 6. Using those two programs, I have made many images of my system with FirstDefense on it without any problems, but I have never needed to restore any of them; FirstDefense works too well and I have never needed anything else to recover, and I have never suffered a hard drive breakage.

BUT I only made those images of my hard drive with the old version of FirstDefense that used RSS (yup, another VSS vs RSS question! :p ). When I installed the later version of FirstDefense with VSS, I was in one of my "too lazy to image my system" modes, and besides, "FirstDefense simply works too well", and have been stuck in that mode for several months. Now I want to start imaging my system again, "just in case", and like Peter says, "It's about layers, baby!" :D

My probably impossible question: Now that I am in VSS with FirstDefense, can anyone possibly anticipate any problems using my two old imaging programs once again. Are old imaging programs actually an advantage? I know that some of you have had issues with FirstDefense and VSS with some imaging programs, but I believe that they were all new versions of those imaging programs. This would be, as before, with JUST CREATING IMAGES, hopefully, not having to restore any of them. Thank you. :cool:

Acadia

2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Acadia,

My serious concern is that you are not familiar with restoring whichever image.
    It's like owning fire extinguishers, but having no clue of all how to operate them. "Darling, let me sit down and read the directions first."

The impact of VSS/RSS on whichever version of your imaging solutions is not any larger than the impact of the file format of a picture of your spouse: JPG or PNG.
    VSS or RSS is just a setting, stored as data somewhere in your system partition. For PowerQuest or Acronis, it's just a sector on the disk.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Acadia

My answer is maybe, depending..... I will answer better when I finish a test I started today and then screwed up. But Wilbert is right, until you restore with these programs you don't know how they handle a restore, and that is a big factor. I would go as far as to say if you don't test restore, it probably isn't worth imaging. You may well be doing it for naught. I will post more when I finish the test I started.

Pete

4. wilbertnl

Acadia,
    Do you take images after you boot from the Powerquest/Acronis rescue CD or in Windows?

5. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Acadia,

wilbertnl is correct. RSS/VSS are simply copy engines. Two separate versions of the same means to an end. They should not impact your image in any way.

I wholeheartedly agree w/ Pete & wilbertnl, practice your re-store w/ the app you intend to use as a primary imaging app.

@wilbertnl, good analogy, fire extinguisher.

...screamer

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Wilbertnl, I do my imaging from Windows.

Everyone, my only concern, and the ONLY reason I am double checking so carefully, is that I know some of you have had issues using imaging programs with FD which forced a few of you to switch back to RSS.

Yeah, I know, testing a restore is possibly preferred but, "if it ain't broke don't fix it!". :blink:

Thanks once again, everyone,
    Acadia

7. Peter2150

It would be safer to actually image from the recovery media. There is less chance of problem that way. Not sure this is a good example of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy. The whole point of imaging is to fix something that is broke, but how do you know it will work when you need it if you don't try.

I write that mainly for newbies that might be reading this thread, as I know why Acadia is saying that. I have also tested Acadia's recovery plan, but consider it's nice to know plan be would actually work, especially since there is already a backup plan that should work.

Pete

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yeah, I feel confident that the later versions of FD can be used for ALL recovery, I just want those "layers"! :cool:

Acadia

9. wilbertnl

I usually take images after booting from the recovery CD. I didn't realize that Acadia was referring to the conflict between Shadow Protect and FD-ISR.

Assuming that you are healthy, you won't have health care insurance either, then?

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Good point. I was referring to testing a restore, not making the actual backups. Yes, I would WANT the health insurance, but I would not want to test it. :D

I was referring to the conflicts that I have read in this forum that forced some back to RSS but my memory being what it is, or is not :( , without re-reading all of those threads all over again, I don't remember what imaging programs were causing the conflicts.

Acadia

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  11. Peter2150

Acadia

Another reason to go back is RSS is a tad faster.

Pete

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Peter, I have a strong feeling that I am going to do that this weekend. :shifty:

Acadia

13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I did that pretty soon after I found VSS taking a bit longer than RSS.

14. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Done!

Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.