Yet another Norton Question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hjbyram, Sep 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hjbyram

hjbyram Registered Member

I am a former Norton 2003 user who is now using NOD32. Following the instructions when I went to download the trial version, I did uninstall Norton 2003 using Add/Remove Software, and I did successfully install the trial version of NOD32, plus successfully upgraded to the full version. I apparently am also successfully using the NOD32, because it just stopped Spyware from being plopped on my pc.

However, I just realized that Symantec Live Update is still installed. When I try to uninstall via the Add/Remove Software, I get a message saying there are active DLLs tied to Live Update, for other programs, that would be removed if I continue.

Is there some freeware, or anything, I can use to determine what DLLs are involved, and also, once identified, is it possible to move them from the Symantec folder to another folder?

Or, since I am not having any known problems with NOD32, should I just leave well enough alone? By the way, I did try following the other posts on removing Norton, and nothing happened to Live Update. THANKS

2. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

OK, this will take a while to do properly, but should be fairly straight forward...

first - setup your NOD32 as per these instructions:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37509

Next, remove Norton completely using the rnav tool - symantec instructions here:

http://service1.symantec.com/support/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

if that fails - try this "auto-removal" tool from Symantec...

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Then - reboot your computer into SAFE mode, and run a full scan and clean with NOD32 - let us know how that goes.

3. hjbyram

Oopsy, sorry about posting under the wrong forum, guess I should I have retitled it!
    Anyway, I lied & I checked again - this pc has Norton Internet Security 2004 Professional, not Norton 2003. As stated, apparently only the LiveUpdate app was left on the PC when I uninstalled the Norton Anti-Virus part.

Okay, using the link provided in the response, I found what I had to run to uninstall. The 1st time I tried I got some bizarre error as to why it failed. HOwever, I tried again, & got a msg stating it was successful. What I noticed is that the Symantec LiveUpdate folder is still there, but the one DLL I knew was having a problem, S32EVNT1.dll, was moved from the Symantec folder to the System 32 folder. However, the one silly Mahjongg game still thinks that dll is tied to Live Update. Reading further in the Symantec information, it appears I need to modify the registry & then manually delete the LiveUpdate folder.

I did mess up & never booted into Safe Mode - uh, duh, for some reason I don't know how to do that on this pc, yep idiot user. I did do the NOD32 setup provided in the other link - got that right anyway.

So I guess my options are to backup the registry & do the thing listed in Symantec; uninstall & reinstall the game; buy software to help clean up the registry? I'm petrified of messing up something that I will need for some other app!

4. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Ayup.

Go to http://www.sysinternals.com/ and download Filemon and Process Explorer.

You can run Process EXplorer to find out what is installed, and which DLLs are being referenced.

Do you happen to have GHost or WinFax or, some other symantec product installed?

5. hjbyram

Hi - no, the only Norton products I had installed are the Norton Internet Security Professional 2004 (Norton 2003 is on another PC)

Using your link provided, I downloaded both the Filemon & Process Explorer. WOW, who knew all those non-symantec DLLs would show up under the LiveUpdate app.

So, next question, is there software I can get to help fix the registry or what do I do know that they are identified?

THANKS so much!

6. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Unless you have adequate documentation of what can be removed, it is dangerous to remove such critters.

If you have NO Symantec software installed, you can manually plod thru the registry, but it's still dangerous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.