Yet another firewall advice topic!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Slovak, Mar 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

I know this has been probably discussed many times in the past, and I myself have asked for firewall advise before. I also know most people do not recommend the free firewalls over the pay ones, but IF you had to chose one of the four main freebies(Kerio, Outpost, LNS, ZAF), which would you chose and why?
    Also is there a current web site somewhere that reviews all four of the above mentioned's current versions?
    I personally would love to try ZAF, but still cannot get it to install due to hanging on the reboot, and my other post on this produced no working results. o_O

2. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Mornin', Slovak!

Unfortunately, I don't think that my response will be of much help to you, but ... I use ZoneAlarm, and I use it for the very worst of reasons: it's a 'set it and forget it' program. The fact that it works, and works well, doesn't change another fact, that being that I really should take the time to look into other options.

3. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

I think dangitall's reasons for using ZAfree are completely valid and wise.

Not everyone cares to learn the ins and outs of firewalls, and ZAfree is generally a secure, safe option - and certainly far better than a more demanding firewall that has been misconfigured by the user. ;)

EDIT: Just realized that ZAfree is not an option for Slovak - too bad. It's been a real long while since I fooled around with Sygate and Kerio, but I think they are both good if you don't mind the learing curve. I don't even remember which one I found to be more difficult (Kerio?). Bottom line: if you can learn to use 'em correctly, you can't go wrong with either. You'll only know by giving them some time on your machine. If you can't deal with either, Outpost free will work. I'm an Outpost user myself, but the free version has not been updated in quite some time, so I would suggest you try this last. I also wonder if the free suites that include a firewall (like Panda - see elsewhere on Wilder's forums) would be something you'd consider.

Regards
    Optigrab

4. shunned

shunned Guest

"personally would love to try ZAF, but still cannot get it to install due to hanging on the reboot, and my other post on this produced "

Its very odd for ZA not to install. There is a conflict that in my guess is the VSMON conflicting with another program in start-up.
    Have seen this when people try to un-install ZA but do so inproperly and then try to install another firewall. Or try to install ZA over another firewall.
    The question that comes to mind is if a firewall other than ZA will now install properly on your system?? The firewalls gurus here can best answer that for you.

5. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

How do I stealth all my ports in Kerio? That is the current one I am trying, and a few different firewall testing sites I have visited all recommended to stealth my ports.

6. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Anyone?

7. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

There are some great free firewalls out there. It is usually a matter if you want/need the extra features the pay versions usually offer over the free.

LnS Lite is free, but not LnS.

Regards,

CrazyM

8. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Which ports are testing as non-stealth?
    Are they showing as Open or Closed?
    Have you checked your rules for anything that may be allowing this?

I believe the latest version of the new Kerio is 4.0.13 (2004.02.26), is this what you are using?

Regards,

CrazyM

9. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Yes, I am using the latest version of Kerio, and the ports show as closed, but I have no idea how to stealth them, there was quite a few, I don't remember which ones though.

10. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Slovak

You are still secure with closed ports.

I have not used the v4.x Kerio, but have you tried a Block All Inbound rule in your Advanced Rules and see if that gets you stealth results?

Regards,

CrazyM

11. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Not yet, but I will try it here in a few and post the results.

12. bbfi

bbfi Registered Member

Slovak,

I've been using Kerio 4.0.13 since it came out and all my ports are always stealthed. :D

See my settings in the picture.

Attached Files:

13. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Thanks, I will try it set that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.