Yet again, another question by me ...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Comp01, Oct 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I was just wondering, on Sygate, should I use a password? .... My only problem with this, is, what happens if I forget the password? then I cannot get into my firewall ... and will not be able to shut it down :doubt:

2. manythanks

manythanks Guest

Hi Comp01

Never mind about asking a load of questions thats what everyone is here for, the more you ask the more you know, as for the question about passwords - the reason is that some firewalls can be bypassed by a virus or other scripting and this can disable the firewall, the hacker then has a free run of your system and it's contents, if the firewall has a password inside it the hacker will more or less fail in disabling the firewall because he/she needs to know the password.

I hope I got this right I was on the beer last night and am struggling a bit today, If I am wrong then I am sure I will be corrected.

3. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Hi Comp01. Another good reason to have a password is to keep anyone with direct access to your PC from changing your settings. :D

4. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Hi Comp - a good way to keep track of different passwords and screennames is go to your nearest store and for 99 cents pick up a little notepad and write them all down and keep it in your desk or somewhere safe. That is the only way I can remember stuff. By the way, I use a password with ZAPro and although at times it can be a pain, it is worth it for the reasons ManyThanks & Beetlejuice stated. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.