YALD - Yet Another Layer of Defense

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Pigman, May 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

According to Windows Explorer and my task manager, neither True Vector (vsmon.exe) or any other remnants of ZoneAlarm (the things in the Internet Logs folder) are there. The program is completely gone - there is not a single trace of it left. And yet, ZoneAlarm is still hogging my rescources! (5% of them, according to what my resource meter said before and after ZoneAlarm installation, and what it is currently saying.) What the hell is going on?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Are you using XP? If so, do a system restore to a time before you installed Zone Alarm.

Last edited: May 22, 2004
  3. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Do you have a thing about replying to second-most-recent posts or something? I already said, all compnents are uninstalled!

And btw, my computer seems to have taken care of this itself. Don't ask what happened; all I can say is that, on the last reboot, my computer found and fixed some sort of registry error, and now the 5% drain on system resources is gone. I have no idea what the hell happened there.

Anyway, I just downloaded Maxmem to make sure crap like this doesn't happen again - and guess what: it actually seems to work! Bizarre!

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Pigman

Have you done a Search of you Computer 'ZoneAlarm' and 'Zone Labs'.

To see what it turns up.

Also have a look at this to see if any bit are left:-

Zone Labs Customer Care

TheQuest :cool:

5. TheQuest

Hi, Pigman

A REAL FACT [ACTUALLY!]

Windows UnInstall or Most Program UnInstallers vey rarely UnInsall Properly.

6. --!--

--!-- Guest

I agree with TheQuest. Pigman keep in mind these are volunteers here helping you out of the kindness of their hearts. You could show alittle appreciation and a bit of common courtesy to them. Otherwise you may not get much help around here. Just a little tip for ya.

7. TheQuest

Hi, --!--

Thank You.

Take Care.

8. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Everyone, let's try and keep this on topic:

Firewall recommendations and configuration help.

Regards,

CrazyM

Last edited: May 22, 2004
  9. TheQuest

Hi, CrazyM

I am duallty admonished.

With Regards.

10. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Sorry for being rude. I've just been getting a bit too much grief from my computer lately.

It turns out that all the crap I was getting was from a ZoneAlarm/AntiVir incompatibility. So now I have ZoneAlarm back on, and am looking for a different AV.

But if someone here knows of a good, easy-to-use firewall that runs on Win98 and doesn't require much RAM....

11. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

12. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Guest

PIGMAN

Now...would you care to try this again....if so...

1. you have been surfing the internet for awhile WITHOUT a firewall.

2. You stated in another thread that you had picked up a trojan

3. you have no trojan scanner (you said)

4. you said your c drive is overloaded with temp files

5. you said that your computer runs out of RAM

now this could go on for awhile...but instead....lets try to get some kind of an understanding.....not for my sake or anyone elses....for your sake.

computers rarely mess themselfs up......unless a piece of HARDWARE fails. People mess up computers or installing bad programs mess up computers. THATS WHERE YOU COME INTO THE PICTURE.
    There is nothing wrong with Zone Alarm....an if there is a problem using it than chances are there is a problem elsewhere in your OS.....thats where you begin......the starting point. You need a firewall.....everyone else here has one.....its you who does not........an you need these people to help you.
    First off..you are a newbies.....with much to learn....me I will always be a newbies cause I am always learning.....I ask questions....an never try to teach the teachers or experts......works for me....
    Now..the beginning......gosh only knows what on your harddrive after surfing without a firewall and other protection......all that needs to be completely cleaned........an no...you do not have a choice.....clean it!!
    Otherwise you wont have a working computer much longer...hell it does not work properly now. An guess what....zone alarm may be your new firewall before this is over...why, cause you would not know what to do with any other firewall.....alittle honesty from me to you......
    Here goes......the outcome hopefully will be you installing a firewall.

1. Clean all your temps.....GET MRUBLASTER....plus ANY other cleaning program........(an READ how to properly config them)

2. Install a trial issue of a trojan scanner (your choice) I use trojan hunter) YOU locate where to download it from.

3. Find and install "NEWDEFRAG" at the wilders FREETOOLS page....its a better defrag than comes with 98.....its safe to install....USE IT!!! its faster .

so....download: a trojan scanner.......a cleaning program(2)......an zone alarm.........INSTALL IN THIS ORDER......1: CLEANER 2: trojan scanner
    3: come back here SEEKING HELP to install a firewall (ZA)

also.....go to: Start....RUN......an type: MSCONFIG..........an then look in your start-up to see if true vector is still there.....post back here if it is..of course if it is there UNCHECK IT....but dont try to remove it.(SEE WHAT ELSE IS IN START UP BUT DON"T UNCHECK ANYTHING YOU DON"T KNOW>>>>>>IT WILL CRASH YOUR COMPUTER)

Now Pigman....if you don't w3ant to do any of this and do it just the way its listed.....fine...no problem...its your choice......then you can solve your problems on your own.....fair enough

13. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Guest

***My last post was a delayed post.....was under severe attack....no bigie.....***

Pigman......hey..you will be just fine...

14. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Guest

PIGMAN

Below is a link to a small program that will clean lots of junk .....its not for win2k or XP...........works great on win98.... no install....its safe.

http://www.fsm.nl/ward/index.html

If you are beginning to wonder what some of what I am posting has to do with Firewalls.......easy.......YOU DONT INSTALL PROGRAMS ON AN OS THAT MAY BE CORRUPTED OR FULL TO THE POINT OF CRASHING......

15. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Guest

PIGMAN

now that you have re-installed ZA...forget this:

"also.....go to: Start....RUN......an type: MSCONFIG..........an then look in your start-up to see if true vector is still there.....post back here if it is..of course if it is there UNCHECK IT....but dont try to remove ""

You now need true vector......so just let it alone. Sorry about having to post delayed......the problem resolved....

16. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Guest

**note**

I am beginning to feel alittle weak (that surgery thingy...normal) but don't think I can continue offering pigman help........no doubt others will finish this up..............

17. sig

sig Registered Member

SnowGuy...after reading this and the other now locked thread, I've been wondering if the PC in question is actually clean and doesn't have something else going on with it causing problems. That temp file thing is weird and I have to wonder if something else is at work here causing problems.

Not that ZA never causes problems on a user's PC, but I've used ZA for years without such problems. And certainly no conflicts with Firefox. (I can't imagine how ZAF would conflict with Firefox.) I was just using my old PII 250 laptop with W98 and a whopping 64 meg memory and I've run ZA on it for years without any problem. ZA's still what I recommend for a basic firewall to most newbies.

Pigman: don't know what the state of your PC is, but rather than not running any firewall at all (and assuming you're on a stand alone PC...not networked with an XP box) I'd go here and follow Gibson's instructions to unbind NetBIOS from TCP/IP. This procedure will close your NetBIOS ports. As long as you're not running any programs as services/servers that hold ports open, you should have all ports closed once you unbind NetBIOS from TCP/IP. At present, with a default 9x install, if you have no firewall these ports are open and are in effect open doors into your PC. So I do recommend the unbinding operation to at least protect against intrusion through the NetBIOS ports. http://grc.com/su-bondage.htm

To first see if you have open ports run the common ports and services ports scans here at shields up: https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

If you do the unbinding that should at least offer some protection against unsolicited inbound connections when/if youi're not using a firewall. (What I liked about W98 ;) ) It does nothing for outbound monitoring but it's certainly better than having the netBIOS ports open on the net without a firewall. This is not a substitute for a firewall with inbound and outbond monitoring and blocking, but it's a basic thing to do that can increase your security if you aren't using a firewall or you have any reason to disable it when you're online.

I don't know what you've done previously to ensure your PC is not already compromised. But I'd run some of the free AV scans and download a trial version of TDS, update it from the site and then run a scan to see if anything is already on your PC. One place I'm aware of that has links to free scanners is this FAQ at BBR which is why I use it: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/8428
    (My apologies if there's a similar sort of help thread here at Wilders that I've missed.)

18. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Guest

SIG

greetings my firend......most definitely I agree with your opinion.....its not ZA or the anti virus program........sounds like a corrupt OS......pigman may need to run filechecker..etc...............hopefully pigman gets newdefrag also............

PIGMAN

now this is kinda like it is.......SIG is good.......damn good! an if Sig gives advice TAKE IT.........no questions.....just follow instructions an you will be just fine. Hey, I am saying it straight......

19. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

I already said that I'd solved the problem with ZA/Firefox. PLEASE READ THE MOST RECENT POSTS.

The ZA/Firefox problem was caused by the conflict between ZA and AntiVir. I have uninstalled AntiVir, and reinstalled ZA. I am not getting any more problems. The question now is what AV to use. (I still have F-Prot, but I need resident protection. Perhaps it's time to dish out some dough for NOD32.)

As for TDS-3, yeah, that sounds like a good idea.

I scanned with Trend Micro's Housecall recently, and didn't find anything at all.

20. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Pigman,

This is the other firewalls forum.

If u have AV questions feel free to open a new thread in other anti-virus software forum.

Thanks.

snowbound

21. sig

sig Registered Member

Pigman: I have read your posts. Given your evident ability to correctly diagnose problems on your pc and your further apparent propensity to be ill mannered toward those who attempt to assist you or provide you with advice, I'll happily refrain from reading any more of your posts. 'Ta.

22. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Apologies for rude behavior. Please feel free to ignore any of my future posts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.