Yahoo! wants me to upgrade

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, Apr 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I've had an email account for twelve years and haven't upgraded to any of their newer versions.

Now, they're making it pretty clear that I'll have to even though I'm content with the "old" version.

But their help page has this:
    It's all a bit confusing.

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I used Yahoo! Mail Classic for quite a while when I was using K-Meleon. It's just a version of the old Yahoo! Mail. Like you, I actually preferred it, unfortunately I have to use Yahoo! Mail as my main work mail address (I have been using it for about a decade) & so I changed to the all new singing & dancing Yahoo! Mail. I really do prefer Gmail nowadays!

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I spent sometime but I managed to domesticate the new stuff. I had to make some modifications to my Privoxy action file and now all is well (and boring which is how I like it).

4. Daveski17

The new mail is certainly faster (for me anyway) but the only thing I really dislike about it is that the jpeg of my ugly boat-race is now almost too small to see! I got my good side in with that as well LOL. ;)

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

And Gmail has themes. You can guess that I went for the "terminal screen" theme.

6. Daveski17

Yeah, I could have guessed that. Oddly Firefox 4 just opens my normal Yahoo! Mail page (SeaMonkey 2.0.13 can't open new Yahoo Mail) but Iron, Chrome & IE 9 seem fine. At least this new Yahoo! Mail Beta is a bit faster & cleaner, not unlike the old 'Classic' mail. I was getting a bit frustrated with waiting ages for pages to load as I needed to be informed that Doris57 had updated her avatar or Borisnumbnutski had done something else (it's a BT Yahoo! thing). All going well, I could take to this new beta. Of course ... all doesn't always go well ...

Anyway, Happy St George's Day! :D

7. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

Yahoo! wants me to upgrade too. I clicked the "Upgrade" button, the switch was made, and when I re-opened the tab it told me my browser (Opera) wasn't supported. Funny, it did the upgrade a few seconds before that, but then it said "screw you". Go figure. Still, it's a little bit confusing as to whether Yahoo! Mail will support Opera by the time there is no more choice (supposedly) or will I have to use IE for that.

I like Gmail's interface better but for some odd reason it really puts a stress on my machine. I open Yahoo! Mail - it loads in a second or two with a few MBs of additional memory usage for the browser. I open Gmail - it takes at least 3-4 seconds to load (sometimes up to 10) and swallows an additional 30-40 MBs of memory. It's mind-boggling, considering Gmail's clean interface and Yahoo! Mail's overflowing with crap page. What the hell?! Gmail's basic HTML interface loads fine but I can't make it the default one. It's always something with every email provider I've had - either its spam filters "handle" more regular mail than actual spam, or they delete the account after a month or two of inactivity, or something like with Yahoo! and Gmail, or something else.

If things go on like this there will come a time when old-school mail (the one with the ink, paper and stuff) will become actually less annoying and troublesome than Email. :D

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I've seen the same thing with GMail hogging RAM but someone somewhere said that that's because of a heck of a lot of javascript behind that clean interface :D . If you go for the basic HTML, it obviously will be less demanding but we can't select all messages with one click then, IIRC.

9. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Would not touch Yahoo email even with a 10ft pole. How often are you missing mail, Yahoo guys? I mean, like - someone sends you something and it plain never arrives. No, not moved to spam, just rejected by SMTP server with one of the zillion messages pointing the sender to their "policies".

Me (and lots of other people here) gave up on trying to figure out their retarded antispam forms, SPF and whatnot nonsense for them to be so kind and accept mail. Email is a "best effort" service, however Yahoo made it worst annoyance instead.

I will prefer Gmail with their effective spam filter anytime.

10. Daveski17

Yeah LOL! Sometimes it just comes a day late as well. Maybe they've improved with this beta ... we'll see.

11. Daveski17

I have discovered (on my Notebook) that I can open Opera in 'Classic' make the switch to the beta & it will open for me when bookmarked (at least the favicon is different to the normal purple & white 'Y!'). This can make it easier to distinguish on my toolbar. Unfortunately a throbber has appeared between 'Folders' & 'Applications' (under 'Trash') in the left hand toolbar. You'd think they would have coded this beta for Opera, even the SeaMonkey beta opens it!

12. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I'll stick with Classic as long as possible ... the new one warns me I'll need to switch to at least 1024x768 to "fully appreciate" it (I'm an old-time diehard who still runs at 800x600 as much as possible, for easier viewing).

(Edit) What I thought was really interesting about their email notification was that it came to my Yahoo addy, which I never use except to check for and clean out spam, and not to my local POP addy which is set as my primary in my Yahoo account. And the account-setup page says that my primary is, among other things, where Yahoo is supposed to contact me.

13. PRUHDG

PRUHDG Registered Member

I was not using yahoo classic but had the same message.I tried the yahoo mail beta and loved it , the disposable mail feature(500 max) is an added bonus to avoid those spammers.

14. Daveski17

In fact, I'm quite impressed with it so far. :thumb:

15. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I'm trying it, too. ;)

16. Daveski17

I'm just waiting to see where it all goes horribly wrong ... LOL ;)

17. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

It doesn't work with Opera. :mad:

18. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Hmm...We'll see...:doubt:

19. Daveski17

We'd better not jinx it LOL! :D

20. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

No major issues as yet but it looks like I may have to tweak my stylesheets to get around some visual effects that I don't really need to see.

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Looks like I'll have to try some of the styles at userstyles.org. Searching for Yahoo on the site throws up some of interest purporting to be dark or minimal.

22. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

I like Yahoo mail

23. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Ditto ...I have had an account since 1996.

24. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

25. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Knock on wood...:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.