Yahoo! puts! IM! online

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Story

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Interesting development. However, even though downloading programs may be restricted in corporate environments, they can still blacklist the specific portion of a webpage link to prevent users from accessing the function.

3. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Very cool. I wish MS would offer something for Windows Live Messenger. Or do they and I am missing out on something good? :eek:

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Anybody tried it?
    What about privacy issues?

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

microsoft has this
    http://webmessenger.msn.com/
    web messenger
    lodore

6. herbalist

herbalist Guest

It seems to work exactly like the IM program does. Logging into either one (web or IM program) logs you out of the other. From what I can see on the firewall status screen, it's using the same port numbers and IPs the IM program itself does.

Instant messaging isn't very private or secure to begin with. Running it thru your browser just adds your browsers privacy and security issues to those that already exist in the IM program/service. Your preferences and contact lists are already stored on their servers, which enables you to log into Yahoo IM with another PC and have access to all your contact lists.

I'd use it for casual conversation, but I wouldn't trust it with anything I wanted kept private.
    Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.