Yahoo Problems with Browser

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by funkymonkey, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Registered Member

Hi,

I have two Yahoo accounts, one works perfectly fine with all of yahoo services. The second one works with yahoo messenger, groups, games etc, in short, with everything except yahoo mail. Everytime I try to log in to yahoo mail for that account, with Internet Explorer a download Dialog Box appears, that stays on screen for a while and then disappears. Mozilla Firefox sometimes opens up a page with junk values (the source code of the page i think, java or html) and at other times opens its download manager, and after a while downloads a file that my PC does not recognise.

I should also mention that this problem is machine specific, it only happens on my pc, does not happen on other PC's I have tried; on them I am able to access mail without any problems. I have an anti virus, an anti spyware program, have run an anti trojan and i have a firewall. I am stumped.

Any ideas anyone? Will appreciate any help ;)

2. funkymonkey

also, I forgot to mention I contacted Yahoo customer services about this, and from their reply it is apparent I know more than they do [and I dont know much at all :D ]

3. dog

dog Guest

Hi funkymonkey,

Well, that is rather strange indeed. Seeing how you can access one account and not the other, in both browsers from the same PC , the browsers themselves don't seem to be the issue, and it shouldn't be an issue with any of your security/filtering apps for the same reason. Your email page also seems fine (no errors) as you can access it from another PC.

Have you tried clearing your browsers cache, and cookies? Then trying to access the page again. Do you completely log out from one before logging into the other account?

Steve

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Funkymonkey, welcome to Wilders.

I would suggest following the comprehensive steps found in General Cleaning to confirm that your system is clean.

If these steps do not resolve your situation, then I would suggest that you download and run “Hijack This” found here and post your log at one of the forums found at A-SAP. The two bigger forums for HijackThis log processing, (meaning they process more log threads each day than most others) are: SpywareInfo.com and CastleCops.com. Be sure to read their posting policy in the links at their log review forum sections prior to posting.

Once your issue is resolved you may want to take a look HERE. As well there are discussions HERE and even more HERE.

Hope this helps...

Let us know how you go.

Cheers :D

5. funkymonkey

Hi dog and Blackspear,

Thank you for your replies and thanks for the welcome.

Dog:: Yes, I have emptied out caches etc and tried logging in again. Also, I make sure I log out of one, before logging into another.

Blackspear:: Thank you for your suggestions. I am going to try them and report back. :)

Cheers,

funkymonkey

6. HD rider UK

HD rider UK Registered Member

Hi Funkeymonkey.
    I had exactly the same problem in Yahoo, full access on one account and everything except mail on the other. After lots of head scratching and about an hour teaching yahoo "support" about their system, I eventually solved it. The problem in my case was that yahoo mail needs to install a cookie on your system to work, otherwise it will just not open. Unfortunately, each account you have will look for its own cookie, and yahoo will only install cookies for one account at a time. ie you log onto account A with no cookies at all installed and access mail, thus installing cookies for and specific to acc A. later you try and access mail on account B, which tries to give you its own cookie, sees that there is already one their and sulks.
    At least I think thats what happens... :doubt:
    Mind you, given that I possess the IT skills of a haddock, i may be talking complete gibberish here
    I found that the solution in my case was to delete both temp files and cookies each time i logged out from either account. It worked for me , and still does however it is entirely possible that your problem has different causes/solutions to mine, hope that this has helped though.
    ttfn
    Jock.

7. funkymonkey

Hi everyone,

HD, thank you for your reply. It took me a while to do it, but I found a solution to this problem. Right after scanning my computer with everything in Blackspear's post [which gave my computer a clean bill of health], I came across the solution to the problem on the Internet. Here is the link to the post that describes how to deal with it: http://www.helpbytes.co.uk/yahoontlproblem.php

Using this has solved my problem. Apparently, this problem is specific to NTL customers only. Since I don't know the policy about providing links to external websites on this forum, I will reproduce the contents of that post here. Hope this is o.k.

Symbols / Junk appears instead of Mail [Courtesy HelpBytes]

Welcome NTL user!

This is an NTL problem, NTL have been informed by their users, but users have yet to receive a reply or acknowledgement of the problem. We found the fix, and below you can see how!
    The Solution

As with the Yahoo! Profiles, this lies in the proxy servers, which have a bad copy of what they think is Yahoo! Mail, when you make your request, the proxy server intercepts this, and tries to forward the page to you from its cache or the web, but it's getting it wrong.

The fix is simple:

1. Go to Start, Settings, Control Panel.
    2. Click on "Internet Settings".
    3. On the Programs tab, click "Lan Settings...".
    4. If ticked, untick the box "Automatically Detect Settings".
    5. Tick, "Use Proxy Server".
    6. Enter "80.1.224.4" as the address. Enter "8080" as the port.
    7. Click "OK".

If it fails: Then that proxy server is bad.

Cheers,

funkymonkey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.