Yahoo Messenger

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zarzenz, Jul 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

A week or so ago, I installed yahoo messenger... I had a specific reason for doing so that only needed it to be on my system for a couple of days.

Anyway... I then decided to uninstall it and bring my system back to normal.

However I now find it has put itself in the view menu... explorer bar and also in the tools menu of Internet Explorer.

Why do programs do this and then don't remove these remnants when uninstalled.

Is there a way I can manually remove these items myself.

I'm very happy to edit the registry... I just need to be pointed where.

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I am not 100% certain, but you can use HijackThis to completely remove it. I just used it to remove the same MSN Messenger crap.

Close Hauled

3. zarzenz

Thanks Close Hauled,

I'll check it out... I guess I just delete any references to Yahoo it finds.

Certainly worth a go... cheers.

4. Close_Hauled

That's pretty much what I did. Just make sure that you set a restore point before you use it.

5. zarzenz

Ok Close Hauled,

I just ran it and have had a good result.

It found and fixed the yahoo extra tools menu item and it also cleaned up 2 items in the downloaded program files that I never even knew were in there.

All I got now is the entry in the explorer bar in the IE view menu, but maybe I can find out more on this tomorrow.

It's getting a bit late here now in UK so I'm gonna cut and run for now and look at it more tomorrow, but I gotta thank you loads for your help tonight as HiJackThis certainly got rid of some stuff there... what a fantastic utility this is.

Cheers for now. :)

6. zarzenz

Just a little update on my task here.

I was not able to find any way to remove the yahoo entry in the explorer bar on the IE view menu, even after searching the registry and deleting a couple of yahoo entries I found in there.

So I figured that yahoo must have actually "gone inside" the IE program itself and added some file or whatever it needed to do to put itself in that location.

So I then decided to do a repair IE from the control panel.

It worked... I now have a perfectly clean explorer bar once again.

It's possible that maybe the repair option would have also taken the tools menu option out as well without needing to use HiJackThis... but then again, I'm glad I did run that first coz it found those useless downloaded files.

So all in all... a good 24 hours work.

Thanks again Close Hauled for your input regarding HT.

7. Close_Hauled

No problem. Thank you for posting how you fixed it. A lot of people don't take the time.

Close Hauled

8. zarzenz

Cheers :) :) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.