Yahoo Messenger is shutting down on July 17, redirects users to group messaging app Squirrel

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jun 8, 2018.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Ingrid Lunden@ingridlunden

2. guest

guest Guest

RIP YM, one of the oldest messenger apps, very popular in Asia; i admit enjoying using it.

3. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

I made friends on YM that became friends in real life. Actually a funny thing happened to me because of YM.
    I'm at a bar in a foreign country with a buddy of mine. We get talking to these two girls at the bar we played pool for a while before they had to leave and we arranged to meet back there the next night.
    So the next night I'm talking to the shyer one of the two who was also the pretty one and she tells me she's glad she came out, and the other one says yeah I literally have to drag her away from the computer chat to get her out.
    So I said which chat do you use she says Yahoo Rock Chat I said oh I used to go there then it suddenly dawned on me.
    I said you have a webcam ? She says yeah but I don't put it on except when she comes over and makes me.
    I said omg I remember the two of you on a webcam in Rock Chat, you are in my YM contact list!
    So when we all went back to her house after the bar closed we checked that on her computer and sure enough I was on her YM contact list and she was on mine and her chat history still had our conversations from 2 or 3 years prior lol.
    We lived in different countries thousands of miles apart and I never would have dreamt one day, years later, I would run into them by pure chance. So rest in peace YM. I owe you one.
    Two actually haha ;)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  4. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I was partial to ICQ in the beginning. Had a very low number. I left when it turned into a cesspool a few years later. I used Yahoo for a few years a couple of decades ago and finally lost interest when everyone suddenly needed pictures (no camera) or voice (no microphone). I thought Yahoo was long gone years ago.

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I never used Yahoo Messenger, but used to use MSN/Windows Live Messenger quite a bit and was using ICQ, briefly, before that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.