Yahoo Mail Spoofing Problem

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by conrad1on, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. conrad1on

conrad1on Registered Member

For a while now I've been receiving the occasional message in my inbox that Yahoo Mail was 'unable to deliver my message' to a particular Yahoo Group that I'm a member of.

The thing is, I haven't been sending messages to that group, and upon looking at the content of the message that I've supposedly tried to post there, it's clear that it's simply a spam link to some dodgy website.

I haven't really been too bothered about this up until now, partly because I just assumed it was someone 'spoofing' my email address and there was nothing much I could do about it, and also because the email address of mine that they're trying to use is different from the one I use in the group, so none of the messages get through anyway.

Today however, I opened up Yahoo Mail to find a saved 'draft' message in my account that I don't remember writing. Upon opening it, I found it to be the same kind of spam message that I mentioned previously, presumably ready to be fired off to my poor group again.

So my question is this: does this mean that my account has definitely been compromised - bearing in mind that these feeble spamming attempts on my behalf are the only discrepancies that I've noticed - or could someone save a draft of an email in my Yahoo Mail account by spoofing my email address, without actually ever having my password?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

change the password to start with and see how it goes. Should be better