Yahoo is about to trump them all with free storage!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

A lot of free storage out their right now. As near as I can recall MS SkyDrive is still leading the pack at 25gigs. But, I just checked my Yahoo mail account (which I only use occasionally) and I'd received a mail from them 4/28 touting their new mail, so please forgive if this has already been posted. Anyway, they claim "Unlimited Storage"!

2. SplinterCell

SplinterCell Registered Member

Basically, you'll never have to delete e-mails, but I wouldn't e-mail yourself your 40 Gig music and picture library or anything like that as a backup. Not that anyone was thinking about it.

"Users who follow the Yahoo! Terms of Service and our anti-abuse controls can consume an unlimited amount of free email storage. This will apply to both new and existing users.

Our new storage system gives you the option to never delete another email. Unless, of course, you want to. The purpose of unlimited mail isn’t to provide an online storage warehouse. Usage that suggests this approach gets flagged by our anti-abuse measures. In order for our system to work efficiently, our abuse control systems may limit the number of emails you may send or receive when it appears your usage is excessive. These abuse control systems may also impact the rate of growth of your account and you may need to create new folders or move some emails to other folders, if you are experiencing response issues.

Yahoo! employs a variety of anti-abuse methods. If our anti-abuse system detects potential abuse we may take action. These anti-abuse controls enable us to better identify users who are not using the service appropriately under the Terms. Our goal is to ensure that everyone benefits from unlimited storage." -http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html-

3. ratchet

Perhaps that is their old policy. The following is from the beta page. I infer it means actual storage. Who knows?

"Unlimited Storage
    Use it as your personal archive to keep photos and everything that matters."

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You should add e-mail only to avoid confusion. It would've been a much better deal if you're allowed to store anything.

5. ratchet

But that is all it says. It is a direct quote.

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Well, it sounds like a great idea. Now ... if only Yahoo! worked on making their mail open with more than three browsers ... ;)

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Since it's from your e-mail account, the title isn't misleading, but on a forum thread it is.

8. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

As long as yahoo keeps the POP or IMAP access to Yahoo mail as a paid service, their mail is not going to get popular anytime soon. I am sure most people will prefer to download their yahoo mail using 3rd party email clients.

9. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I agree, I like Yahoo best because it doesn't have a million options but without POP or IMAP I have to use a different service. Well their calendar does not seem as nice as google's either. But I would make yahoo my main email if they had the POP or IMAP options. But as it is, I don't see why anyone would pay for those options with most other competing brands offering them for free.

10. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Yahoo! is about to trump them all with free storage!

Fully agree with you!
    Yahoo! needs to follow Competition...;)

11. ratchet

What?

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

On your e-mail, this message implies some kind of improvement to it. On a forum thread, it implies Yahoo is going to give greater free space.

13. ratchet

First of all, subject headings don't always allow (space!) the ability to define every intricacy of a posts headings. That is why you read it if interested. Secondly, if the new mail will allow storage of one iota more of anything than SkyDrive, it is an improvement. Last but not least, you have nothing more to do in your life than play forum cop?
    http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3307/screenshot001lz.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.