Yahoo email not POP3?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JerryM, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am using Mailwasher Pro, and it works well with my regular email, and Hotmail accounts.
    I understand that for a fee Yahoo email will also work with Mailwasher.

Anyone use this combination or can answer the question? o_O

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

My understanding is that you only get POP3 server for PAID Yahoo mail. I tried getting POP3 service into Outlook 2007 with free Yahoo and it was no go, so I gave up on that as I won't pay just any old yahoo.:rolleyes:

3. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

You need a fee-based service to use POP eMail directly with Yahoo. Yahoo Pop Plus, for example. Another alternative, acceptable to some folks perhaps, is to use a proxy service ala YPOPS.

4. Arup

Arup Guest

5. colinp

colinp Registered Member

Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to do, but, I have several yahoo and gmail accounts accessed through Thunderbird. In the user options for both, there is a pop setting that you enable then configure the server settings in the mail client. There is no charge, however the Yahoo account is a Yahoo.ca account, if that makes any difference.

Colin

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks again for the help.
    Colin, I am trying to get Yahoo mail without having to sign in to Yahoo directly.

My Mailwasher Pro tells me what is on the server for my accounts, and if I do not delete it downloads to my Outlook Express but does not work with Yahoo. I was told that it was because Yahoo was not POP3. I already have a Yahoo account but I am not aware of the Yahoo.ca account.

I am going to have to look into the other alternatives offered.

Thanks again, All,
    Jerry

7. wideglide36

wideglide36 Registered Member

Hey,
    I don't know if this will help you but if you want pop3 access for free from yahoo you could try signing up from their UK site.

I know you can sign up there using a yahoo .co.uk or ymail or rocketmail and get an account with free pop3 access or mail forwarding.

Good luck.

8. FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan Registered Member

Jerry, no sense in you trying Pop Peeper either because I ran into the same situation with the free version of Yahoo.

9. wideglide36

Hey,

I am currently using pop peeper and it retrieves all the yahoo.com and the others that I mentioned earlier.

10. FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan Registered Member

Yahoo UK or USA?

11. wideglide36

Both.

12. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

If you have a Yahoo! account that does not currently have POP, then yes if you upgrade to Yahoo! Plus you will get POP. I would wait, I suspect that eventually all Yahoo! accounts will have POP capability for free.

I have two free Yahoo! accounts. I have a yahoo.com account created in Japan that is several years old, it does not have POP access and currently I would have to upgrade to Yahoo! Plus to get it. My yahoo.com.ph account does have POP access. I also have friends who have created ymail.com and rocketmail.com accounts that have POP access.

If appears that if you have a yahoo.com account POP is out unless you pay for it. I don't know if that applies to newly created yahoo.com accounts. Of course you mileage will vary. One thing for sure free POP or paid for POP looks to be regional. I also suspect that POP will eventually be free with older yahoo.com accounts too.

A couple of other options for a Yahoo account without POP access are YPOPs! and FreePOPs. With YPOPs! you can both receive and send messages. FreePOPs only receives.

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Chrisretusn,

Thanks for the info. I have decided to wait and see what happens. I don't mind the $20 if I think I need it. As of now I am not sure how much advamtage it would be. Thanks again.

Best,
    Jerry

14. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Or Yahoo itself will cease to exist. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.