xxxtoolbar in resticted sites in red

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by kimber, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kimber

kimber Registered Member

why is it that everytime i check my spywareblaster to see if i have all my protection enabled under restricted sites that continuously the xxxtoolbar is not check marked for being protected ..it is always in red....i click enable all protection , it turns black and sure as heck the next time i reboot or open spyblaster the same thing ,i have to put the check mark by it , it is in red again and i have to enable it all again then it shows again everthing is enabled and alls well till the next time........this is continuous since i downloaded 3.1....this did not happen in previous versions...can u tell me why this is happening now tia

2. theman

theman Guest

i have the same trouble why cant the new verison be like the older versions

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Are you using Pest Patrol by any chance? I believe it used to flag that entry as belonging to XXXToolbar (when in fact it was the protection against XXXToolbar) - it may still do that.

Best regards,

-Javacool

4. kimber

kimber Registered Member

yes i am using pest patrol............is that what is undoing the protection

5. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

I would suspect it is.

To verify this, you'll need to disable the resident PestPatrol scanner (MemCheck or something similar I believe), enable all protection in SpywareBlaster, and then scan with the main PestPatrol program (so it will tell you what it detects).

Best regards,

-Javacool

6. theman

theman Guest

Re: xxxtoolbar in restricted sites in red

i did what you said an did is pestpartol what is deleting the protection of spywareblaster so what can i do to stop this

7. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Re: xxxtoolbar in restricted sites in red

Oh, Incidentally the same thing happened to me. Pest Patrol detected the xxxtoolbar. Instead of fixing it, i went to regedit and did a search and found xxxtool bar among a large group of names that i recognized as malware. since they all had the same value 0x00000005 (5) i made the assumption that it was detecting the entry from spywareblaster and clicked "ignore". that seemed to end the problem for me.

- maybe i should clarify...in pest patrol in the results where you have the choice to fix, ignore, quaranteen, ect..., i chose ignore. Ignore may sound slightly risky, however, i do still have the spywareblaster protection, plus i am pretty sure that ignore means only "ignore that instance of the problem" not "ignore that problem". At least thats how it treats infected files. It may be different for registry keys but, hey, i guess i just like living on the edge.

- HandsOff

Last edited: Apr 17, 2004
  8. ubersam

ubersam Registered Member

I just encountered this, and yes, I am also using Pest Patrol. First I deleted it. Then when I checked SpywareBlaster, it said that protection for that one item was disabled, so I enabled it. Ran PP, found it again so I excluded the item in pest patrol but I was afraid that it would also exclude all CWS.googlems.3 items, so I included it again. When I ran Pest Patrol again and it detected the item again, I just ignored what it found and emailed PP about it, saying that it may be a false detection, explaining why I thought it was so. We'll see what PP does.

9. theman

theman Guest

the thing is PP does not pick up the other things what spywareblaster has put in the reg i find tha stange the CWShedder does and does not delete them also SPYBOT does not pick anything up
    Keep us posted how you go on

10. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Well as a fellow user i will thank you for helping PestPatrol to refine its database. My original concern was that there was a new variant and i wanted to look, and i will be honest to say i am getting to paranoid to submit any data to anyone these days. I have been considering posting a question in a new thread about if people think it is safe to send my detection results to pest patrol. (not quite the same as reporting a questionable result). I decided i would not, but that i SHOULD report possible bad detections as you did in order to improve the product...so again...thanks!

HandsOff

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I just read through this thread. It helped me solve the exact same problem (except that I was using PestPatrol's online scan). Thanks very much !!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.