xxx .Spylog.com ?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by NYScott, Jun 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYScott

NYScott Registered Member

Hi:

I'm trying out a Russian MP3 website (I know what you're thinking, but I'm very careful!!) called AllofMP3.com. When I went to the site this morning, I saw on the Status Bar of my browser window that the page that was opening had the address of:
    u422. 22.spylog .com

Obviously, the term "spylog" made me curious, so I ran a search on Google. I came up with a few hits, but nothing helpful.

Does anyone have any idea what xxx .spylog. com would be, or, what spylog. com is?

Thanks!!
    -s

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

3. NYScott

Hi, Pieter:

Thank you. I've d/loaded Spoofstick for IE (unfortunately, no version for Mozilla - only Firefox). I'll run it & see what happens.

-Scott

4. NYScott

OK, I installed & enabled Spoofstick. I went to allofmp3, and then began to log in (which is where I previously saw the spylog url). Again, the u422. etc .spylog URL showed in the status bar, but Spoofstick said I was still on AllofMp3.

So the spylog URL was only there during the login process, which is kinda scary, or not, since I don't know if it means anything...

Any thoughts? Any idea what spylog is? Anyone speak or read Russian?

Thanks!
    -s

5. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

6. NYScott

Hi, Pieter:

I did a little more research - you're right, it is a tracking cookie. Nothing nefarious, though; not adware or spyware.

The company that created Spylog is a Russian company, but for the US market, they renamed it "Mytrix" (I assume because other people like me were immediately put off by the name Spylog). But since I was using a Russian site, the Russian version was there... You can learn about it at mytrix . com , and via the English version of Pravda online.

Anyway, thanks for the help!!

-Scott

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

(half OT: wished they had such a spoofstick thing for win98 systems too! or maybe there is a known javascript? Program looks really handy! How often don't i run into pages telling "cookies required, not seeing that URL nowhere in the firewall list, adding it manually with some allowance, no change, so it must be a redirection etc so such a tool would really really be handy!
    If somebody knows one, i'm interested to learn and tell others)

8. testtest

testtest Guest

If you look carefully, a lot of "free" Russian sites have the SPYLOG counter. Never had any problem with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.