Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr review - So, excellent?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, May 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I've written a long, enthusiastic review of Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr 64-bit Long Term Support (LTS) edition, covering live session, installation in a dual-boot configuration with Windows 7 on a laptop with SSD, and post-install use and fun, including Wireless, Samba sharing, multimedia playback - Flash, MP3, applications, resources usage, battery life, boot time, printing over network, customization and tweaking, stability, suspend & resume, associated hardware problems, and more. Have fun.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/xubuntu-trusty.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. keithpeter

keithpeter Registered Member

Nice report, I especially like the clear way you explained the distinction between Xubuntu the distribution and Linux-the-OS so that people knew the wifi bug would be in any distribution with similar kernel versions &c.

I like the whisker menu, even given the slightly broken search. I've set up a keyboard shortcut for xfce4-popup-whiskermenu as Windows-Space so it is a bit like Windows 7 (Hit Win-Space, type name of program).

Also 'xfdesktop --windowlist' is bound to Win-AltGr so I can get a list of all the windows in all the workspaces anywhere (default is middle-click over desktop).

Just working on getting the pause/play keys working (Lenovo X200s test laptop). Wifi is solid on this older model.

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Yup, thanks for the review. Although I have set up Xubuntu 14.04 on the new Dell Latitude E5530 for my wife, I love using it at as well.
    I don't do Samba so can't comment on that, but printer, scanner, usb microphone, suspend when closing lid, sound, and the applications I also use on my desktop, all perfect.
    One minor thing. I cannot get gtk recordmydesktop to record 2 channel 44100 Hz - but can record with the usb mic.

(Background is black with a white XFCE mouse outline in the center. I have kept the default icon and Greybird themes. Sick of those Faenza icons and desktop backgrounds depicting landscapes which should really be on chocolate boxes).

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  4. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Hi Mrk

The reason for the funny search results is due to settings applications (in this case gparted) being excluded from then menu [and the search based on menu items].
    Also I do get a permissions prompt from gparted when run from the settings panel.

5. Mrkvonic

My problem was that the prompt was just a notice and then you couldn't authenticate.
    You had to relaunch from commandline with sudo or root.
    Mrk

6. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Yes, thats same for me when launching from the menu, but when launching from settings, it prompts for password fine (for me) :)

7. Umbra

Umbra Registered Member

MrK, how did you measure boot-time?

8. Mrkvonic

Bootchart.
    Mrk

9. Umbra

Umbra Registered Member

10. Mrkvonic

11. Umbra