xrun.exe

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by grizz, Nov 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grizz

grizz Registered Member

just browsing and got a popup from smart security v3 (regged version)about a prog called xrun.exe was trying to access the net i denied it access so i could find out what it was.
    what bothers me is when i had nod32 2.7 this kind of thing never even got onto my comp, nod used to popup saying the website contained whatever virus etc was there and would block it from even getting onto the comp, not this version it seems o_O what am i doing wrong it's not the 1st time i've seen this in the past week or so.
    why does this version allow the files to even get onto the comp:(

2. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

http://spywarefiles.prevx.com/RRICFI3356569/XRUN.EXE.html - you did the right thing!

check your settings.
    enable AV & AS
    enable anti stealth
    ensure everything in real time system protection is ticked.
    In threat sense tick potentially unsafe applications

If you say this is not the first time this has happened, what Firewall were you using with 2.7? ESS firewall isn't to great at the moment. Smart Security has done its job in notifying you of Spyware trying to contact the internet, so it is working - you just need to work out how it got there in the 1st place, whether you surfed whilst you were installing v3, or whether it has been there all the time... i.e. v2.7 was not set up to catch spyware?!

You could also add A-Squared Free as a back up spyware scanner. And check your firewall settings (especially if you are using ESS Smart Security).

3. NodboN

NodboN Registered Member

Since you're running ESS and not EAV, I would guess this was not a virus alert - it was probably a firewall alert asking you whether to allow a certain program (in your case xrun.exe) to access the internet or not. I'm just trying to imply here that the alert was initiated by your NOD32 firewall - not the antivirus.

Also, agree with Steve - you did right to deny access. I, too believe that the ESS firewall is at a nascent stage of development.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  4. grizz

grizz Registered Member

picked it up from a website last night and nod has been on since day of release.
    i picked the same thing (xrun) a few days ago from another site.
    it was prevx that removed it :D
    but when i had nod32 2.7 the alert would come at the webpage alerting me before it had chance to install onto the computer, seems as though ess does things different.
    would i have had the alert if i had been in auto mode :shifty: instead of interactive :eek:

5. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

Good question, When I tried ESS, I seem to remember Automatic, is default and that appears to do very little, whereas interactive questions everything which is why it spotted xrun.exe when it tried to connect to the www.
    Sounds like the ESS firewall was at fault here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.