XPpro Service issues

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by whistl3r, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whistl3r

whistl3r Registered Member

Hi all

I have a strange problem, which started a couple days ago. On every boot up of my system svchost.exe peaks my cpu for about 45sec to 1minute. Just before this started to occur I installed Outpost Pro and edited my hosts file (1.2meg now) to redirect pesky ad’s. I verified each of the running svchost instances and they all seem to be valid versions, I have 5 running. It seems this particular svhost.exe, giving the troubles, has a couple threads with ..\dirvers\etc.. and ..\drivers\etc\hosts. Thinking this was the issue I replaced my hosts file with the default values, yet the problem still existed. I uninstalled Outpost Pro and no noticeable difference. I also attempted a restore point and that did not work either.

I also ran McAfee 8i and few spyware tools and they both came up positive. So I did a little research on the net and found no solid solution to why svchost.exe is peaking, for a long duration, on every startup.

Is it possible that my mainboard or CPU may be going out?

Kind regards,

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  2. whistl3r

whistl3r Registered Member

Any suggestions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.