xp x64 error after log in, please help

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by accessalternative, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. accessalternative

accessalternative Registered Member

Hi

Running win xp x64 on a quad core. Very nice, except that from time to time the computer freezes right after log in, forcing me to manually restart the system.

Event log shows this message:

"Event ID: 7000
    The NVIDIA Display Driver Service service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified. "

I don't know what causes this strange behavior, nor why it only happens from time to time and not systematically [thank God].

What to do?

Thanks for any concrete help.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You might try removing and/or reinstalling your NVIDIA drivers and see if it goes away....

3. accessalternative

Hi Kerodo, thanks for your answer.

I tried reinstalling but doesn't seem to help.

How can I make sure I have the latest drivers ? Is there a place to look at so I can be certain I have the very latest for xp x64? Or perhaps having the latest is not necessarily the solution...

4. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

You can check HERE. If that one does do not work for you then you may want to try HERE.

5. accessalternative

Thanks, I'll have a look. See you later guys. Merry Christmas to all if I can't come back soon enough.

6. ThunderZ

Hope you find one that solves your problem. I ran XP 64 for quit some time with no problems other then a lack of security apps. That is changing and I may go back.

Let us know how things work out.

A Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

7. accessalternative

I downloaded and installed ForceWare Release 169 and for now it seems to work on my system. I'll experiment a couple of days with this configuration and see if the crashes come back or not.

What I miss most now I made the switch from 32 to 64 is SSM.

It was a nice surprise though to see that Agnitum has a 64 version of its firewall, which I gave a try on x64 since I have a license for it and I have to say it does run flawlessly on xp x64.

SSM being absent, I couple Outpost with Avira AntiVir and run the system on limited user account, and this basic triangle does fill my security needs for now.

I was glad too to discover that 7-zip, locate32 [shouldn't it be called locate64 in this case!?], Eraser, JKDefrag and some other softs have 64 bit versions which run perfectly on x64.

As to browsers, 32 versions of Opera an FFox run fine. Same thing with Drive Snapshot.

Cheers

8. ThunderZ

Ran Agnitum and Nod but was only able to run on demand scans with any anti-spyware programs at that time.

If interested, ZA has released a 64 bit Beta vers. Take note it is Beta. So if you can not afford to possibly have something break do not use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.