XP Windows Temp folders

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JerryM, Mar 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

In W98 under Windows were Temp and Internet Temp folders. All of the temp internet folders/cookies or whatever they were, would be deleted, and I would also delete all the temp folders except the dat folder.

Under W XP there is no temp internet folders, and even though I used the cleanup feature of the c drive, there are dozens of folders left in the temp folder.

I assume that I can manually delete all those without a problem. It would seem that if not then there would be hundreds in time.

Advise?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Jerry,

Temporary Internet Files are under a hidden, user specific folder. The full pathname is C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Setting\Temporary Internet Files where Username is the logon Account Name employed. There's also a general Temp folder under Local Setting which is used by Office applications, etc., a folder with Application Data, and an IE History folder.

To reveal this folder, just open Windows Explorer, go to the top menu bar, select Tools>Folder Options>View. Under the Hidden Files and Folders entry select Show Hidden Files and Folders. Do this at the highest level that you want to reveal hidden folders.

Yes, as you would expect, you can clean out the open Temp folder.

Blue

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Blue. With that I learned something else today.
    Jerry

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

My pleasure Jerry,

It's amazing how much junk can accumulate in there. Under the Temporary Internet Files (e.g. TIF) folder, the view depends on whether you are looking at the currently logged on account or the account of another user (assuming admin level privs.). Experiment around and get a feel for what's there.

This TIF area is for IE only (as far as I know - I haven't used all available browsers...). You can delete the subdirectories and index.dat file under TIF anytime, the next launch of IE will recreate fresh versions.

Likewise for the folder where all the temp Office (*.mso) files are stuffed, this can be cleaned as desired. This is one place where you can sometimes find that file that was lost in an application crash.

Blue

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You can set the any temp folder to be emptied with jv16 power tools also with just the tick of a button. Even the windows temp folder.

bigc

Attached Files:

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks to both of you. That JV16 power tool looks good.

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.