XP - will it be possible to get last patches few days after Tuesday?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by act8192, Apr 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

I really dislike getting patches on patch Tuesday. I prefer to delay. Will that be possilbe?
    If yes, how?

2. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

While I obviously can't guarantee it, I imagine they'll continue to be available until (but not including) May's Patch Tuesday. The Sophos newsletter included an article a week or so ago pointing out that XP users would still have 40+ more days of current protection until the next set of updates for newer versions. either next Patch Tuesday or if there happens to be an off-cycle patch before then.

I've always made a point of holding off a few days before doing the monthly updates, mostly to avoid the "traffic jam" on Tuesday (MS' servers aren't the fastest in the world) but also there's the rare occasion where an update is revised (or possibly even withdrawn) a couple of days later.

3. act8192

Thanks. Let's hope. What you wrote is precisely my reason. And, frankly, I'd rather skip their patch and avoid a catastrophic failure due to some bad one. I normally wait about a week, till Susan Bradley in Windows Secrets writes about patches to avoid or I see some posts talking of trouble.
    Sophos logic you mentioned sounds ok to me, but who knows. MS may lock it down Tuesday evening.

4. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

5. act8192

MrBrian, it's not clear from there. Few comments indicate that some support continues, but no description of what support means.
    Thanks anyway.

6. MrBrian

From the link in post #4:

7. act8192

I saw that. But it depends on the definition of "existing" (includes Apr8 ones?) and how do we get them. The only way I've done updates in the past few months is enable firewall rules for svchost and enable automatic update. I don't know any other way how to hunt for the appropriate ones.

8. MrBrian

9. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

It just means that all XP updates from release until April 8 (start to end) will remain available thru standard updating procedures. (for now) Eventually they may remove support for XP all together but there is no current deadline that you'll have to meet to get the last updates. It may be a year from now, may be five or more and then they will eventually be removed from microsoft.com. There will simply be no NEW updates available for XP after today. (Unless they once again reverse a decision and make the extended update support these corporations are paying for available but that's doubtful.)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  10. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I was able to download Windows updates for years after the end of support for Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000 (virtual machines). You should be able to still get them, there just won't be any new ones.

11. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

This is the end of support for Windows XP, not the shutdown of Windows Update for XP. I'd imagine the updates will be available for years like xxJackxx stated, but new ones won't be added.

12. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

"Windows updates downloader" program allows you to select what you want to download and save.
    Just do that.
    It can be used for xp vista 7 and 8.

13. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

14. tgell

tgell Registered Member

There is also a post SP3 update pack still maintained. The last should be available soon. You can stream the update pack into a XP install disk along with SP3 if needed using nlite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.