XP SP3 FRAGMENTATION POST INSTALL

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cortez, Jan 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cortez

cortez Registered Member

After installing XP's SP3 pre release it was very fragmented:

defrag2.JPG

Post de-fragmentation:

3rd defrag.JPG

Much better I think. I did go ahead with a third defrag and it went well and is much tighter now.

2. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Yeh, it is to be espected when so many files are replaced (and new ones added) with a service pack.

3. dNor

dNor Registered Member

It's a pretty hefty service pack, so files are bound to be fragmented. How's it running for you?

4. cortez

cortez Registered Member

I have checked the first places where corruption occurs and also copied to CD and as of yet no problems.

Internet service is excellent and fast with both Fire Fox and my DSL's AT&T browser (including E- Mail and the otherwise capricious "Norton Internet Suite" of "online protection" [which has caused considerable problems--especially re-installing multiple times after initial downloading and usage, followed by complete internet failure.

Eventually Norton seems to learn how to operate on a particular set-up-- "Artificial Intelligence-wise" it seems] Thank god for imaging applications!!!:D ).

As the Microsoft Site warns "do not install XP's SP3 on "critical mission systems " until the full release. They also state that all data should be backed up prior to installation of the new service pack.

Funny, on their web site this warning is offered for any of their support procedures (no matter how simple)!! They must have more Lawyers than the oil lobby!!

5. ragnarok2012

ragnarok2012 Registered Member

Microsoft advises to defragment XP:

1. After initial fresh install and

2. After any service pack install

A third defragmentation is usually not harmful on a newly installed system but can cause the Blue Screen of of Death on a system that has matured with multiple applications installed. Naturally caution is due under these circumstances.

I have found that using the recovery console after repeated defragmentations which cause a hang up can be repaired with a simple fixboot, fixmbr or bootcfg /rebuild command. It is common knowledge within the IT community and is handy to know that it is .

6. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Perhaps i am lucky but never met any hiccup after defrag in many years with different defraggers.

7. ragnarok2012

ragnarok2012 Registered Member

Does your experience include more than two defrags in a row?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.