XP(SP3) - Cannot access shared files/folders or browse workgroup

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products Beta' started by GL700Wing, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GL700Wing

GL700Wing Registered Member

Hi,

Overview:
    I have three Windows XP(SP3)-based computers that are configured as members of a workgroup in a peer-to-peer network environment and, following an upgrade to ESET 4.2.22 on all computers, I experienced all of the following problems:

* I could not access shared folders or files.
    * I could not locate other computers in the workgroup.
    * I received the following error message when I double-clicked the workgroup in My Network Places: <Workgroup Name> is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource.

Detail:
    I upgraded from 4.0.474 to 4.2.22 beta (preserved previous settings) on three computers (one desktop, two laptops) in my home network (all running XP SP3) over the last couple of weeks. I chose to upgrade to the 4.2.22 beta version because I use Thunderbird mail and wanted the spam mail protection again.

Last week I discovered I was unable to access any file shares on one of the laptops (a HP 6730B) from the desktop but, given that it was only a recent purchase, I thought the problem related to an incorrect setup on that machine. I spent many hours trying to get it sorted and, as I'm a fairly experienced IT support person who has setup lots of home networks, I was confident I was doing everything correctly.

One thing I did notice was that I could get everything working between the laptop and desktop whenever I switched off the ESET firewall - OR if I used the Windows XP firewall - on both computers (I make sure to only ever use one firewall product at a time). With the ESET firewall enabled even ping wouldn't work.

Last night I decided to check connectivity between the desktop and the other laptop (an ASUS EEE 901) because it was definitely working before the ESET upgrade. I was surprised to discover the same problems and solutions.

By this stage I was fairly confident that ESET 4.2.22 was the culprit so I completely uninstalled 4.2.22 (I use Revo Uninstaller to make sure all registry entries and files are removed) and re-installed the most recent stable release (4.0.474) - doing reboots as required. I configured all three computers to allow sharing and, as expected, all computers could access file shares and browse the workgroup.

I then upgraded all to 4.2.22 (using current settings) on all the computers and, once again, lost access to all file shares and the workgroup. Uninstalling 4.2.22 and reinstalling 4.0.474 fixed the problem.

Kathy

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  2. whftherb

whftherb Registered Member

Maybe this suggestion will help discovering more about this problem. It's just a suggestion for a closer look.

In ESS 4.2.22 pull up the settings panel out of the notification area. Toggle Adv mode (F5) if it's not already on. You'll see the "Personal Firewall" section of the interface and perhaps the 6 subitems tucked beneath it. But you want to concentrate on the PFW "Overview" panel focusing on the right side; the "Filtering mode" setting. Have you played with this? Because if you set it to "Interactive" in that dropdown and ping something, watch what happens. ESS PFW should now present you with numerous info boxes describing data transmissions/packets it detects, what it proposes to do with them and more than likely what ESS wants you to permit. Prepare to be innundated with alerts and to click "OK" or "Allow" a lot! But do take the time to scrutinize each alert because in one of them you may the beginning evidences of your answer (port is blocked or access denied, etc). I'm willing to guess you might have "File and Print Sharing" toggled off somehow in the new version. Perhaps that setting doesn't get transferred succesfully. That's what "beta" is all about I guess.

My experience with ESS 4.2.22beta is so far positive in this regard with my 3 desktops and 2 laptops here, peer-to-peer off my router. Every system succesfully sees and interacts with every other system's shares, etc.

ESS is such a feature rich prog.

HTH.

3. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

I had a similar problem and I created a new system rule which I named Local Netbios and in the rule I allowed in and out TCP and UDP in the trusted zone. This fixed the problem.

4. GL700Wing

GL700Wing Registered Member

For whftherb:
    Thanks for your reply. I had already tried using interactive mode but, as that didn't work, it's possible that it would have to be run concurrently on each of the computers that are trying to connect so that all requests could be OK'd. File and Print Sharing was definitely enabled and, as for settings not transferring correctly there was no evidence of that (I did multiple installs/uninstalls).

Basically, for my environment a brand new install of 4.0.474 worked 'out of the box' when I chose to 'Allow Sharing' and an upgrade to, OR brand new install, of 4.2.22 would not work unless the firewall was disabled.

For Jenee:
    Many thanks for your reply - it certainly helped me solve the problem. As per Stackz reply I found that, for my environment, I only needed to add a non-specific application rule with the following settings: Allow, Direction Both, UDP, Remote: Trusted Zone ports 137 -139, Local: ports 137-139

Thanks again - I now have 4.2.22 installed and all sharing/browsing is working!!

Kathy

5. whftherb

whftherb Registered Member

OK! Good for you and now I've learned something else too. :)

H

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.