XP SP2 & True Image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ricka47, Jul 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricka47

ricka47 Registered Member

With Microsoft releasing SP2 for XP soon, there is some concern about a few applications not working with SP2. Will True Image 7.0 work OK with it?

I am also disappointed in a $29.99 upgrade being available just after I purchased version 7.0. I think that it should be much less than that or even free for a certain period of time.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello --

Right now the SP2 of WinXP is not supported in the product but when it will be released the support should be ready and implemented.

Thank you.

Anton.

3. Modred

Modred Registered Member

Does this mean that everyone will have to upgrade to TI-8 to get support for SP-2?

Has anyone used the release candidate of SP-2 with TI-7?

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hokey Smoke, Bullwinkle, this is getting confusing! :eek:

Acadia

5. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Yes, works fine with RC2.

6. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

I, as well as others would love for you to give us some detailed info on what you mean by this. Does this mean when SP2 comes out, Acronis will issue an update for TI7, and TI8? Or are we going to have to upgrade to a SP2 compatible version of TI8 only, with no support for TI 7 users?

Thanks!

Tipton

7. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

LOL... given the behavior of late... my guess is that Acronis will most likely release TI9 to highlight the fact that its compatible with SP2. :D

As mentioned, it works fine with SP2 betas. Considering Anton's statement, I'd bet that Acronis has done nothing as of yet to test compatibility with SP2.

Too many folks are worried about SP2. I have yet to use an app that didn't work fine with the betas.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2004
  8. f123

f123 Guest

From what I see in TI 7 server, I don't expect any compatibility issue with the release of WXP SP2. That said, here's another reason why your imaging software should be OS INDEPENDENT...like Bootit ng! A small, simple, and robust imaging software will provide greater safety margin when it comes time to restore that hosed partition.

F.

9. clam729

clam729 Guest

TI 7 works just fine w/every XPSP2 build (currently at 2162)

10. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I am really confused about Acronis TI now as we definitely need support for SP2 - will TI7 be getting anymore upgrades to add support plus I have PowerUtilites including Privacy Expert :rolleyes: I really am getting very disappointed the more I am reading about Acronis products especially when I had the confidence to purchase in the first place :'( there are so many mixes in the various products I am o_O o_O I am not sure now if when a new product is realised if it will be history tomorrow :doubt:

I have a new install to do and am in a dilemma if I should install the Acronis products to end up uninstalling as they will not work anymore o_O I thought I would be able to create an image when I installed again but now I don't know if I should be purchasing another product for my image o_O

Which product can be relied on for an image to be restored if I need to? Sorry to be so confused but I did depend on TI and now I just do not know if it will restore and image for me o_O

Last edited: Jul 30, 2004
  11. dontworry

dontworry Guest

I'm using TI 7.I have run a slipstreamed RC 1 and slipstreamed RC 2.

I successfully created images of both with TI 7.Give it a try.It took longer than usual to create the images,but they were perfect,and functionality was faultless in the ghosts.(I restored from both).

I would resist shelling out anymore money at this juncture.

12. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

The time factor is one thing I don't worry about if TI is doing its job correctly. I used Ghost and it did take a long time but this is one factor that does not worry me. I just want a perfect image I can rely on the restore if something dreadful should go wrong after installing SP2 or at a later date.

TI does not take too long for me at present as I have my OS in its own partition and backup my data etc separately. I did love the ease of use just a little more worried when I read the posts about the failed restores :(

13. beenthereb4

Yes, it's quite deceptive and unnerving when you come to a forum like this and read about the problems. However, try to remember that TI has tens of thousands of users who never show up here. For them the product works and they have no reason to look for let alone post in a forum. The only reason that people come here (except for a tiny minority) is because they have some unique or very, very rare problem. Major Corporations (including mine) use TI every day to back up critical servers which represent a potential loss of millions of dollars. (By the way, I can safely speculate that no major corporation uses BootIt NG for this) Even before TI introduced the "Verify" option, I only ever saw one bad image out of thousands. If you use the "Verify" option after you image, you can have great confidence that your data is safe. As with all my advice YMMV.

14. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thank you for this. I can verify each of my images but then read the posts and worry :oops: Hopefully I will be able to continue with the image creation and verification and just add 'confidence' to the tools ;)

15. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

I agree.....I have been using TI for the last three months. Ghost before that. I am a habitual PC tweaker, installing and testing everything that has a download button. Needless to say I create and restore alot of images. Not once has TI failed me. It has worked perfectly everytime I have used it. I have made dozens of image files and have performed an equal amount of restores. I bought this software to use, not to back up my system and hope that it works one day if I need to restore. Because I have done so many restores with no issues, I have complete confidence in the product.

You have seen me posting recently, because there is a new version of TI out now. I have tried it, and except for it popping up the error message about my empty Compact flash card reader, it worked as advertised. I made the switch from ghost to TI for the simple reason that TI hands out constant updates to try and keep up with the ever changing hardware. I was having issues with ghost restoring my RAID array. TI has no problems with this on my PC, and supports many popular RAID controllers.

Tipton

16. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Tipton

I agree with all of what you say in your last post above, except:-

Ti 6 or 7 does not work with SiliconImage Raid Controller 3112 unless it is the Beta #619 Build.

Unless you consider SiliconImage not popular or a major player. :eek: :D

And this is from one of all Acronis Products biggest supporter. :D

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

17. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Just to clarify my words about SP2.

I'm not saying ATI 7.0 will not work with SP2. I'm saying that it MIGHT not work with it, and in this case (read my post in topic True Image 8.0o_O) those users who will be having problems with SP2 and ATI 7.0 will be given a *free* upgrade to the version that works with it. Point.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd. Suite 213
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis... Compute with confidence

18. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

These words are 'reassuring' to me as I am very worried about the SP2 aspect and really do need TI7 to work as I will have a completely new install on a new hard drive with XP Pro + SP2 which I intend to back up before any errors accumulate. Thankfully with Anton's post I now know if for some reason TI7 does not work with my new setup there is a comeback with an upgrade ~ Thank you ~

19. Fedorov999

Fedorov999 Registered Member

Already got TI7 running on SP2 at work no problems at all.

Quest, I've submitted a build 627 sysinfo log to Acronis support, unfortunately the commands I was given to run didn't work on the 619 build so they couldn't compare the two.

Si3112 sorted soon in v8 I hope and they've already said I would get upgraded.

Fedorov.

20. coppertrail

coppertrail Registered Member

Boy, this is confusing. I submitted an order for TI8 and DC6 yesterday morning. I didn't get an email until this morning from the vendor that all of my CC info wasn't entered. I think this is a blessing in disguise, as I now have some concerns after combing through these threads. Prove me wrong Acronis . . . I'll await the GA release of XP SP2 before considering this product . . .

21. Jbmoar

Jbmoar Registered Member

Will Acronis True Image 8.0.0.763 Work With the New WXP SP2 Coming this week Or will you have A New update For Registered Version 8 Customers?

22. beenthereb4

It works just fine, I have installed SP2 Final on several computers and there are no new issues so far.

23. 666

666 Guest

Hey, that's cool. Finally I can get a free upgrade TI 8 (or 9, or 10, or 11...)

'Dear Acronis People, I recently installed SP2 and now my copy of TI 4 that I bought many many many years ago doesn't work anymore...'

:)

24. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I think the last poster is omitting something important in what Anton has said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.