XP SP2 too slow on dial up for me

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by EASTER, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I had a couple of SP2 service packs saved to CD but they since are showing me corrupt. The problem is i'm on painfully slow dial-up and microsoft site takes 10 long hours to get it.

Is there at all a chance someone can upload service pack SP2 for XP someplace so i can finally get a working one again?

Google has plenty of links but they are just as creepy slow as microsoft site.

I would appreciate any assistance in this because my internet connection (dial-up) is limited to 12 hours per day and then the meter begins to go up drastically.

Thanks. I just hope i can get a relatively reasonable time reduction in order to download SP2 again.

This time the heck with crappy plastic, i'll save it to a hard drive where it will live a lot longer then CD's/DVD's.

Thanks for anything you can do to help.

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Have I got a deal for you. :D Do you really want SP2 or would you rather wait on the final of SP3? Let me know. I will gladly snail mail either to you if you prefer.

3. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hello Easter,

I would like to help, but I don't know of anywhere I could upload the file that would give you decent bandwidth. If you or anyone know of a good site, I would do what I could to get you SP2.

innerpeace

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks sincerely Thunderz, help is arrived from another member via postal shortly.

I am much too leary of SP3 to even consider it when released as final. Just when you take years fine tuning XP to near perfection, guess what, MS comes along with another bump and grind SP to tackle. I'll be quite content sitting on SP2 for a long time. My PC is full enough of microsoft files taking up space as it is.

But thanks for the offer nonetheless.

Regards EASTER

5. ThunderZ

Have always enjoyed your posts, was just a way of offering a "Thank You".
    Concerning SP3. For some strange reason I am almost looking forward to it. I was fortunate enough to obtain an untouched copy of XP Corp. original. (= no SPs at all.) Now just waiting on SP3 to do a slip stream of what will probably be the final MS OS I will ever use.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  6. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Easter,

You should consider moving to broadband instead of staying on a dialup.*puppy*

7. ThunderZ

Don`t think broad band is available in the Caprica System Epsilon Quadrant neck of the woods yet. :doubt:

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Ah its avaiable alright but i refuse to give in to it's rising costs untill after a new government is elected and the fat cats stop bilking every service know to man.

It will happen, but months off yet.

9. cortez

cortez Registered Member

I tried a small experiment tonight and it seems to work better than the regular manner: Download SP2 using SAFE MODE .

Safe mode (with networking enabled) downloads SP2 much faster (I use DSL so I do not know if this applies with dial up).

I would say it is worth a trial for someone with dial up.

If someone does try this it would be nice to know the results.

EDIT: I downloaded it as a file saved to the desktop.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  10. Cosmo 203

Cosmo 203 Registered Member

If your download is significantly quicker in safe mode than with the full configured system, that I am quite sure, that there is something wrong with the configuration; this is nor normal behaviour.

BTW - for anybody you wants to use this "trick": In case a 3rd-party firewall is installed you must notice, that this firewall will be most probably be disabled in safe mode. So you should strictly activate the Windows firewall during this operation.

11. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

What ThunderZ means by Epsilon Quadrant is....They cant deliver Broadband to the Icy Tundra of Shoeboxes in the Lesser Inhabitable Region of...."The Middle of Bloody Knowhere" :D :p ;) :cool:

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Nice one DVD+R :D

Fact is if i ever get moved to another town about 20 miles from me, they have a super-new fiber-optics hi-speed service over there and i'll be signing up for it as soon as reach their office which happens to be right smack dab in town too.

I'm in just too rural an area at the present and so am stuck in the muck of dial up i guess age old 56 brand of internet limit. I'll live with it for now.

"The Middle of Bloody Knowhere" is a pretty accurate analogy by the way.

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

@EASTER

Order free CD from Microsoft
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
    http://support.microsoft.com/

You'll get it on a genuie MS CD from them - free of charge . I have ordered some times and I have done it for my clients a few times , too . Not now , of course , but some years ago when the Internet was slower :p But the offer is still valid. :thumb:

It is very difficult. Unless you change it soon I bet you'll have dreams about DSL modems and Ethernet cables :D

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks.

I'll await the mail arrival courtesy one of our members first. I used to order free service packs for 98 and you know how long ago thats been now.

And yes, internet velocity makes a BIG difference, just wish they would find a way to eliminate dial up speeds altogether and place everyone, even modems on super zip connections.

Bad idea is dial up now where better speeds used to belong only to the rich and priviledged.

15. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I've finally bit the bullet myself and am upgrading from dialup to my ISP's DSL. I think what finally convinced me was running into more and more sites which are designed with the assumption that most visitors have broadband.

16. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

17. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

You may be able to squeeze an extra 10 - 20% speedup by turning off QOS but then again it may just be an urban myth?
    Speedguide

18. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Yes its a myth. The bandwidth is only used if you have a QoS-aware application.

19. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

They offer a turbo version of dialup through my subscriber. The phone line often has noise interference so the connection speed has been poor recently. So why pay more for something that probably can never reach its full potential? I have resisted any pay TV service for many years. :p

20. ThunderZ

Something to keep in mind. The Government (at least in the U.S.) in its` infinite wisdom capped dial-up speeds at 56K. I do not know if the cork is at the servers end or built in to the modems. :doubt:

21. markymoo

does anyone remember shotgun 2x56k together or ISDN? before internet existed on BBS i had a US Courier 14.4k modem which had a staggering cost of $800.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  22. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

@ThunderZ - iirc its a limitation of the phone lines

@markymoo - You mean multilinking? Yeah Ive heard of that though I never tried it.

23. ThunderZ

:rolleyes: Possibly......but do not think so. Perhaps the signal type (used to carry it over the phone line). But not the phone line, or else DSL speeds would not be possible. Then again maybe I`m missing something.

24. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

When you stop and thing about it i bet they never considered increased internet speeds anyway untill later on in years so as to get an overview how well it would go over or not.

25. markymoo

@EASTER

Keep an eye on Post16. I post the download links there.

@WSFuser

Yes multilinking was another name for it.

Here in Uk alot give you a poor upload speed. 1/20th of the download speed.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.