XP SP2 AV Recommendations

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by rerun2, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

I am installing a clean install of XP SP2 on a friend's computer. Resources should not be an issue (over 1 ghz and 512 RAM). Trojan detection has to be considered as i do not have the luxury of installing a resident AT on this computer (will probably use ewido though). I have narrowed it down between Mcafee and Panda, though am open to further suggestions.

Mcafee
    Also are there any differences between MCafee 7 and 8 (mainly in regards to detection)?

Panda
    As far as Panda goes, what is the difference between titanium and platinum? Is Panda Platinum only free for three months? Does it have a good unpacking engine?

I also have a 5 user license of DrWeb, one of which is not being used. So I am considering of putting that on the computer, but will probably have to turn off its heuristics to avoid FPs.

Does anyone have any experience with these 3 AVs with XP SP2? Any compatibility issues?

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Just regarding Panda...
    Titanium is only antivirus software,Platinum is internet security suit (antivirus+firewall).

3. kloshar

kloshar Registered Member

Bad choice.

I did the same yesterday but I think that tomorrow will be another OS (win2k) installed on my computer.

Hint: WinXP SP2 = crap

4. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Care to elaborate on the statement that xp is crap? or is it just sp2?
    I'm no fan of anything M$crosoft but I'll put my hands up that xp is a pretty good operating system.

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Well, from my experience i did the following... Backed up everything, did a clean install of XP, and then installed SP2. I have not seen any problems thus far.. :D

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

SP2 works great for me. No problems at all. ICF is cool and avast! works perfectly with Security Center. Also all games and programs work just fine.

7. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

Does NOD32 work fine with SP2?

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

New beta (ok not so new hehe) works perfectly.

9. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

I'm having good luck/success with Command AV V4.92.0 running XP home and SP2. This new release was made available just a few days ago, but it has been rock solid on one of my XP SP2 laptops, and it has full integration with the new XP Security Center.

I had no initial success with F-Prot for Windows, however. It installed OK on/under SP@, but the XP Security Center either thought that my virus definitions were not up to date or that F-Prot was not functioning properly. All this in spite for F-Prot's website "splash" detailed how well F-Prot would work great on XP SP2.
    Good luck.....

10. bob_man_uk

bob_man_uk Registered Member

just tried panda platinum on xp w/sp2 works fine, although as mentioned in previous posts, when you reboot the machine the firewall will loose the rules you set, which is a pain but if you are like me and u dont need a firewall then great.

Matty G

11. kloshar

I'm very dissapointed with Windows XP + SP2. When I put on it so many things as on Win2k it has just broken. eMule works bad on it, Security Center is a stupid thing ...

12. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

Aside from a very serious issue in SP2, i will likely go ahead with its deployment (mainly for the security updates).

To my understanding SP2 security center can be disabled or configured not to warn you with event notifications, so to me this is not a large concern.

I still would like to go with Panda but am mostly concerned with its 3 month free period.

Rejzor - Thank you for the input about Panda. Do you happen to have any experience with using this product?

kdcdq - Thank you for the input about Command and F-Prot.

bob_man_uk - Thank you for your input on Panda Platinum.

I will be trying DrWeb on XP SP2 soon, will report back unless someone beats me to it :)

How about Mcafee?

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yes,i was using Panda Platinum for a while and high memory usage (over 30MB) and not too good firewall (it left open ports no matter what i did) plus not scanning incoming mail in Thunderbird didn't convience me. Although it looks a good AV program but there is simply too much cons. I assume Titanium has much lower memory usage,but i'm not sure about mail scanning...

14. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

I'm a beta tester and other than a couple issues with NOD32 beta 2.11b and DIVX, I've had zero issues with every build.

The whole SP2 is crap comment is a bit out there IMO.

15. sp2user

sp2user Guest

McAfee has dectetion rates second to only KAV and also not as hard on resources. Currently using the VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i (which also has buffer overflow protection) release candidate and have had no problems with SP2.

16. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have sp2 installed and am useing mcafee virusscan ver. 7.03.6000 and it works very well on sp2 and it is recognized by the sp2 security center. see scrn. sht. I am also running command antivirus ver.4.92.0 and it also works just fine with sp2.

Attached Files:

17. dread

dread Registered Member

18. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

Thanks for the info everyone...

Might reconsider my choice of Panda, with the release of the new DrWeb and seeing how well Mcafee is doing with SP2.

The latest version of DrWeb doesn't seem to be detected by SP2's Security Center on my computer. But installation went smooth. It would definitely be nice to see DrWeb integrate better and be detected by default with some programs.

19. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Ok, maybe a little off topic, but am I the only one who doesn't have SP2? I have my Windows Update set to notify me of any updates. No SP2 notification yet. Where are you people getting SP2 from? :doubt:

20. dread

dread Registered Member

21. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Thanks for the links dread. I am downloading it right now. I will probably install it tomorrow or the next day. I see that it says it's for computers on a network. No problems using it on just a single computer? Can I install over SP1?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2004
  22. kloshar

Why isn't F-secure recognized by SP2?

23. Stephan123

Stephan123 Registered Member

24. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

Yes, you can install it over XP SP1. After you get it installed, if you go look at add-remove programs list, you will see that it mopped up all the patches that's been installed.

25. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

I tried F-Secure Internet Security 2004 since my ISP offers it to me free. XP SP2 did detect it in Security Center.

F-Secure was a pain in the butt to uninstall. The reason I uninstalled it is because I had around 15 extra running processes in task manager. Call of Duty PC game would not run unless I excluded it from the scanners of F-Secure. I was dissatisfied at this point, and I uninstalled it.

As a matter of fact, I could not get F-Secure to uninstall completely. Even after running the uninstaller, the XP SP2 Security Center was still detecting that it was installed. I deleted every F-Secure everything, and I also ran RegSupreme registry cleaner, and F-Secure would not go away. The uninstaller routine is horrible with F-Secure. I ended up formatting to get completely rid of it.

NOD32 beta and KAV 5.0 are recognized in the Security Center, and they uninstall properly with XP SP2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.