XP slow to shutdown/LnS doesn't remember settings

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by bkm, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkm

bkm Registered Member

Greetings again, the last time I posted a question, I got such good support that I need to see if I can solve this last problem I have with LnS.

My problem is that occasionally upon shutdown on my XP Corp SP3, the operating system takes about 5 minutes to shut down. Upon reboot, LnS 2.06p3 has forgotten my settings. Also a blank folder with a question mark next to it appears in the Application Settings tab. This only happens after rebooting after my laptop has been on a few days.

I read this old thread from '04 that somewhat addresses the same issues I currently have but since the LnS versions were a lot older back then, I decided a newer response would be in order.

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cach...hen I restart&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=opera

Phantom mentioned in this old thread that perhaps the shutdown registry values are screwed. These are the values he recommended. Is this still true today (I don't have the "WaitToKillServiceTimeout"="2000" in my HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop registry).

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
    "AutoEndTasks"=dword:00000001
    "HungAppTimeout"="5000"
    "MenuShowDelay"="150"
    "WaitToKillAppTimeout"="2000"
    "WaitToKillServiceTimeout"="2000"

To my knowledge I have never messed with my values but these are what they are right now:

"AutoEndTasks"="0"
    "HungAppTimeout"="5000"
    "MenuShowDelay"="250"
    "WaitToKillAppTimeout"="20000" (note the extra zero)
    The only place I found "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" is in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control and that's at "20000" (another extra 0)

The old thread also mentioned Ad Muncher being run. I also run Ad Muncher but I'm hoping running this app is not related to this problem.

What could be the problem? Are my shutdown registry values wrong?

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  2. bkm

bkm Registered Member

Ok, haven't received any advice so did the following registry tweaks just now to see if they will help. I changed the following to their values shown

"AutoEndTasks"="1"
    "HungAppTimeout"="4000"
    "MenuShowDelay"="250" (Left as is)
    "WaitToKillAppTimeout"="4000"
    "WaitToKillServiceTimeout"="4000"

If I still have further problems shutting down & LnS not remembering new settings upon reboot, I guess the next step will be to change LnS to a service from system in the options tab. Though I don't know if this will make a difference. I really could use some input from the LnS experts here.... thanks

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  3. mikelp

mikelp Registered Member

Mine wasn't remembering settings either so I set a password and just keep in enabled and it keeps the settings that way. A little annoying, though.

4. mikelp

mikelp Registered Member

Actually I just figured out why my settings weren't remembered and it's kind of dumb but I wasn't clicking apply after changing things, and saving changes to the internet rules.

5. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Upon Windows shutdown, the Look 'n' Stop is suppose to save changes ..., changes aren't saved likely indicating Look 'n' Stop process was ended bit to quickly, usually result of poor tweaking.

Regards,
    Phant0m``

6. bkm

bkm Registered Member

Hi Phant0m, but I had the original XP registry shutdown settings which I posted above and had the problem.

7. bkm

bkm Registered Member

For all those that googled this problem and found this thread, the start up registry changes I made above are working good now with LnS. Left my laptop on for 4 straight days then 3 more days and did all sorts of tasks during those periods. No problem with LnS upon shutdown & reboot unlike before when it forget my settings. So apparently I fixed my problem no thanks to any input from the forum hehe

"AutoEndTasks"="1"
    "HungAppTimeout"="4000"
    "MenuShowDelay"="250" (Left as is)
    "WaitToKillAppTimeout"="4000"
    "WaitToKillServiceTimeout"="4000"

8. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Ok, thanks for the update.

The strange thing here is the old values seem to not have the expected effect:
    • when there is a problem with Look 'n' Stop shutdown and settings not saved, it means the application was killed instead of completing properly, in case it takes too much time to close by itself.
    • so, having an higher value for WaitToKillAppTimeout (20000 instead of 4000) and not killing the applications automatically (AutoEndTasks at 0) seems to be better against this kind of issues...

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.