XP Scheduler Question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Sorrells, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sorrells

Sorrells Registered Member

Does anyone know under which scenario will the scheduler run: Power Off, Hibernation or Standby? [I figured out active :)]

Thanks, Sorrells

2. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

From my understanding, it WILL on standby, but not for Power Off or Hibernation. I have a few sheduled tasks that run (one nightly, and others once a week), and I had to disable "hibernation" mode for them to actually work. Maybe it was just those particular tasks in my case, but my guess is that it probably affects all. Hopefully perhaps somebody with better knowledge of this can explain for certain, but this is the experience that I can share at the moment...

3. Sorrells

JRCATES, thanks for responding. I will disable hibernation and go to standby instead of Power Off.

I have concerns about standby and being on DSL, how vulnerable is a PC when in standby to internet attacks?

I also read that the Scheduler will not work without a password. I don't have one, nor do I want one. One site said the registry could be modified to allow no password. It was a 2002 post that I replied to but most likely too old to get a response.

Any thoughts on this issue are appreciated!

Regards, Sorrells

4. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I have my "scheduled tasks" set to take place at a time when I am more than likely going to be on the internet or at the computer (either shortly before, or shortly after). I shut down my PC every night, and even during parts of the day when I will be away from it for a long time. So that is probably the best option (to schedule them close to or around a time that you are usually on).

As for a "password"....I believe you're correct and that it is required. I could only seem to set up scheduled tasks through "administrator" status. So unless you run your PC in administrator mode, you may not be able to even schedule tasks through task scheduler. Hopefully if there is a way to schedule tasks without running in administrator mode, somebody will be able to share that info with us, but I was unable to figure that out.

5. Sorrells

Before I go forward (hopefully) with a password to run XP Scheduler, I have what should be a simple problem, however the O/S does not seem to address it.
    When booting my PC, I am getting a message at Startup saying that a scheduled event did not take place. OK that's great but (1) what event and (2) how do I stop the messages?
    I found the message in the Scheduler Log but this log cannot be modified. I booted a second time and the msg did not appear, so I guess Scheduler is designed for (1) msg after a failed attempt. We'll see.
    But the other problem is that I cannot see any task I scheduled except for a Monday night defreg (which has yet to sucessfully execute). So what occured last night to cause the msg to appear?

Here are log records:
    Started at 7/1/2005 4:45:38 PM
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    Some tasks may not have executed at their scheduled times between 8/31/2002 10:00:01 AM and 7/1/2005 4:45:38 PM, either because the Task Scheduler Service was not running, or because the computer was hibernating.
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    Exited at 7/1/2005 4:52:50 PM
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    Started at 7/1/2005 4:53:34 PM
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    Some tasks may not have executed at their scheduled times between 8/31/2002 10:00:01 AM and 7/1/2005 4:53:34 PM, either because the Task Scheduler Service was not running, or because the computer was hibernating.
    [ ***** Most recent entry is above this line ***** ]

{Guess that answers the hibernating question!}

From 2002 to 2005! This msg will be valid as long as the PC runs!

6. Sorrells

I just rebooted and copied the Task Scheduler message that appeared again at Startup:

"Some task did not execute at their scheduled times because the Task Scheduler was not running. You can view the list of missed tasks and attempt to run again from withing the Task Scheduler folder."

Pretty weak; date, time and task are missing from the message. And clicking OK does not clear the message, it came back on reboot.

Thoughts? Advice? :)

Sorrells

7. Sorrells

I continue to be advised of Scheduler failure on booting up. There are worse things in life.

Yesterday evening, still searching for Scheduler clues, I found one thread with a link to VBS scrip that disables/enables the password requirement. I have not used it, still cogitating, but a couple of posters did use it successfully.

Check out Kelly’s Corner: Page down to VBS Scripts, Line 67

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Let me know what you think,

Sorrells

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.