XP Scan of Mac OSX Files

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by rmcinnes, Aug 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmcinnes

rmcinnes Registered Member

How valid is the scan of Mac OSX files, via my network Drive connection:
    I have ESET Antivirus 4.2.35.0 running on my Widows XP Notebook connected to my home network, and can define a Mac OSX Folder residing on my iMac in Windows Explorer as say drive I:
    Now I can define an ESET Antivirus Custom Scan to include this new Drive I:

The question is...
    How valid is the Antivirus scan of this OSX Folder.
    Can I be reasonably confident that ESET Antivirus 4 will detect bad files?

Robert...

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

It can only find what it understands and that is PC based malware

3. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

All versions of ESET's software for "traditional" computers (ESET NOD32 Antivirus, ESET Smart Security, ESET Endpoint Antivirus, ESET Endpoint Security, ESET Server Security, etc.) receive virus signature databases that contain all detected malware, regardless of platform.

Mobile versions of ESET's software (e.g., those for Android, Symbian and Windows Mobile) receive signatures only for malware that affects those platforms, due to processing, storage and power constraints.

So, any files on the Apple iMac running OS X that the Microsoft Windows XP-based notebook running ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4.2.53.0 can access via the network share will be scanned for threats.

That said, I would suggest installing something locally on the Apple iMac, as there's always the possibility of their being malware on it in a location that is inaccessible from a network share.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.