xp reinstall..need drivers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by whiteshoes, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiteshoes

whiteshoes Registered Member

hi all sorry if this is the wrong forum but this is my first post and not sure were to put it.... i had a problem with my windows xp. i tried rebooting my pc but every time it got to the blue welcome screen it started a loop and rebooted the pc, so a friend gave me a xp disc and i reinstalled xp over the top of my original. i have been able to access all my program files and documents no problem...but i have come to reinstall my o2 internet and i am getting error messages saying my ethernet card needs drivers installing but this hasnt worked and i still cant get onto the internet. as the modem is wireless i can access the internet via this laptop, my pc is connected via a ethernet cable. i am at a loss any help would be much appreciated tia john

2. philby

philby Registered Member

I hope the XP edition you installed over the top was the same...?

You could try going to the manufacturer's site for the problem machine using the laptop you're on now and saving the relevant drivers to any external media.

Then, pull them off onto the problem machine and install them.

philby

3. hossie

hossie Registered Member

Hi

Have you installed network card or is it onbaord(inbuilt on to motherboard).

If its a network card , then I am sure you would have the device driver CD with you and if its onboard , drivers will be in CD that came with the motherboard.

You can follow the following steps

Right Click on my computer and click on properties. Then click on hardware tab and then device manager. Locate the Network adapters and click on the + sign .. you will get an entry with exclamation mark. Right click on it and click on uninstall. After you have uninstalled it , Windows will try to automatically install it, in case it does not , right click in network adaptars again and then click on scan for hardware changes, it will automatically install it.

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

You obviously have access to the net. Why don't you just look up your specs for your computer online? If it is dell or hp or similar, type in your model or code. It should give you what network adapter you have. Then downlaod the driver and put it on usb stick or cd. Then install it on your computer. Assuming it is missing the drivers.

Sul.

5. hossie

hossie Registered Member

Just a small thing

He is not able to go the internet as his NIC is not installed properly and he connects through NIC.

6. whiteshoes

thx everyone for your input..in response hossie its in with the motherboard. the pc is about 4 years old and i didnt get any drivers or anything with it. i switched to o2 b/band about 2 month ago and had no problem with network card then when i was installing the b/band thx again john

7. whiteshoes

sorry hossie
    Right Click on my computer and click on properties. Then click on hardware tab and then device manager. Locate the Network adapters and click on the + sign .. you will get an entry with exclamation mark. Right click on it and click on uninstall. After you have uninstalled it , Windows will try to automatically install it, in case it does not , right click in network adaptars again and then click on scan for hardware changes, it will automatically install it.
    i tried this process but to no avail

8. philby

philby Registered Member

Have you tried what both Sully and I suggested (using the internet-capable machine you're using now)?

philby

9. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Try downloading from somewhere either Driver Magician or Driver Genius and install it on your machine. It will tell you what hardware you have, gives you the latest version numbers of the driver and a location to download it from.

10. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

If it is a bought off the shelf PC then go to the manufacturers website.

If it is a self built then the motherboard manufacturer should be known. Or the information can be found on the motherboard itself. Go to their website.

Of course all this being done from the PC you used to post initially. Or another that has Internet access.

11. whiteshoes

thx guys i have just d/loaded driver magician & genius... i will try both these in the morning thx again john

12. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

Didn't your card come with a driver disc?

13. Steven Avery

Steven Avery Registered Member

Hi Folks,

Is it possible that the XP "install over" is cumbersome, either contributing to this problem or problematic in the longer run ?

You could back up your data files, and then format and then do a clean XP install.

I'm no expert on these things, but I think that if you have the time, that will help your puter. You didn't make it clear if the 'install over' was the identical CDs of the original install.

Oh, back up your drivers (Double Driver, Driver Backup!, DriverMax are three of the freeware products, DriverView by Nirsoft gets you a good techie list.) as well, so at least you have knowledge of what the drivers are in your current install.

Shalom,
    Steven Avery

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.