xp pro and sp2

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bigc73542, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I used to wonder what kind of problems people were talking about when they said they were having trouble installing sp2 or were having problems after installation. I have installed sp2 on at least twelve different computers and at least three times on mine when changing windows versions to test something. I never had not even one little problem until day before yesterday when I reinstalled xp pro and then sp2. I don't care what type of antivirus scanner I would install it would run just fine until reboot and then the av would not initiate and start. I tried Nod Mcafee Kav and Panda. I will give panda credit it did start for two reboots before it went dead like the rest. The second I would click on an av to try to get it to open the processor would go to one hundred percent and would not stop until I manually pushed the kill button. I finally got everything to work well after the third attempt, I don't know if three trys got it right or if the fact that the last time I used the IT professional version of sp2 and it worked perfectely. Well I have learned a little humility and understanding about listening and paying attention to someone when they are trying to explain a problem that I have never experienced. Those problems can be very real and imposind to someone and they deserve your full attention.

bigc

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Which is why I haven't installed SP2 on any machine I have contact with.

Every singe SP2 in Microsoft's history has had a ton of bugs in it. Those old enough will remember the chaos with NT Sp2 (horrible). There is always a hurry up to get SP3 out after 2 to correct the bugs imposed by sp2.

I use SbcGlobal and I have read dozens of reports of problems with ISP connectivity and security after installing SP2, so I avoided it.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

actually I had a lot of trouble this time but I have installed sp2 on quite a few machines with no problems and I wouldn't hesitate to install it again. The security benefits out weigh the possibility of an install problem. And I have had sp2 on and off of this machine four times now. I had problems this time but it might not give me anymore problems with more removal and reinstalls. I am sure there will be more installs of sp2 here as I like to test software to much.

bigc

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

What about Windows 2000 SP2? I think that one was pretty successful and bug-free...

5. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

well by april u will have to intall it u wont have no choice it says?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.