xp pro and sp2

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bigc73542, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I used to wonder what kind of problems people were talking about when they said they were having trouble installing sp2 or were having problems after installation. I have installed sp2 on at least twelve different computers and at least three times on mine when changing windows versions to test something. I never had not even one little problem until day before yesterday when I reinstalled xp pro and then sp2. I don't care what type of antivirus scanner I would install it would run just fine until reboot and then the av would not initiate and start. I tried Nod Mcafee Kav and Panda. I will give panda credit it did start for two reboots before it went dead like the rest. The second I would click on an av to try to get it to open the processor would go to one hundred percent and would not stop until I manually pushed the kill button. I finally got everything to work well after the third attempt, I don't know if three trys got it right or if the fact that the last time I used the IT professional version of sp2 and it worked perfectely. Well I have learned a little humility and understanding about listening and paying attention to someone when they are trying to explain a problem that I have never experienced. Those problems can be very real and imposind to someone and they deserve your full attention.

bigc

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Which is why I haven't installed SP2 on any machine I have contact with.

Every singe SP2 in Microsoft's history has had a ton of bugs in it. Those old enough will remember the chaos with NT Sp2 (horrible). There is always a hurry up to get SP3 out after 2 to correct the bugs imposed by sp2.

I use SbcGlobal and I have read dozens of reports of problems with ISP connectivity and security after installing SP2, so I avoided it.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

actually I had a lot of trouble this time but I have installed sp2 on quite a few machines with no problems and I wouldn't hesitate to install it again. The security benefits out weigh the possibility of an install problem. And I have had sp2 on and off of this machine four times now. I had problems this time but it might not give me anymore problems with more removal and reinstalls. I am sure there will be more installs of sp2 here as I like to test software to much.

bigc

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

What about Windows 2000 SP2? I think that one was pretty successful and bug-free...

5. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

well by april u will have to intall it u wont have no choice it says?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.