XP + optical mouse = drift

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by luciddream, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Is there anyone that hasn't experienced this from time to time? I used to think it was some kind of impossible to detect adware that managed to eluded every scanner I'd ever used. But I plugged in an old track-ball mouse, and viola... the problem existed no more.

So I realized it was the mouse itself. I buy a new optical mouse, and the problem still persists. After doing research I came to find this is a common problem with optical mice + XP. I saw all sort of so-called "solutions". Many people said to lower the pointer speed and uncheck the "enhance pointer precision" option. It only lessened the problem, it didn't eliminate it.

After really digging I found an article explaining that it had to do with a problem in the way the OS handles the pointer movements. There's some "remainder" (for lack of a better word) that builds up, then discharges, resulting in the drift. Sometimes it's more of a dart than a drift, and will end up in the upper left, or bottom right corner of the screen in a nano-second.

I've vouched for XP a lot in here, but this is one problem... my only problem with it. Optical mice are so much smoother than the old ball mice, but I'm almost considering going back because of this. Or... perhaps I've found a reason to upgrade to 7 after all.

I figure if anyone, anywhere has a solution to this, it'd be in here. So far I've found none.

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

where i have seen this problem is mostly when people use surfaces that are too reflective where the mouse is; like glass, polished woods, etc...

3. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

I often experience on my setup too, it disappears after restarting.

4. luciddream

Yes, after restarting/shutting down it keeps it at bay for awhile... but then comes back again eventually. The longer the system is on, the worse it gets. This again leads me to believe that article about that "remainder" has some merit to it.

And moontan... that certainly helps quite a bit. I just changed mouse pads to something less slick/hard, and it's made a noticeable positive impact. In fact the "drifting" is gone. I thought the problem was fixed altogether, but then... one of those "darts" eventually. The pointer ended up at the top left of the screen. This again lends credence to that theory I posted above... like there's a build up that has to be released eventually of some fraction/remainder left behind.

I think it's simply a flaw with XP + optical mice that has no "solution"... only things that can (greatly) lessen it in frequency/intensity, that have been mentioned in this thread. And as I said, the problem doesn't exist at all with the old ball mice. It's specific to the optical variety.

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I have a fix. I posted it somewhere around here. It is a custom driver. Takes care of that algorithm. I built a little GUI for it as well. If you can't find it I will dig it up, I know I have it somewhere.

There was a thread on a forum I made. I cannot remember now, something like ESR. Anyway it was a hardware forum or something, I just don't remember. I think if you search for moudriv or moudrv you might find it.

I had some luck with a reg tweak at one point. I think there is a fix for that alogrithm online, can't remember the name of the fix. Maybe cheesefix or something.

Regardless, if you really want to get rid of it, and can't figure it out, let me know and I will see if I can help you out.

Sul.

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

7. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I was having a bad problem with this but never suspected it was a combo of XP and the mouse. I made a mouse pad by gluing a black piece of paper to a piece of cardboard and that got rid of the drift, but I still get dart occasionally, just enough to make it annoying. I'm pretty used to it now though.

Sully, I thought I might try out your driver but am having trouble finding somewhere to download it. Is there one place to get the driver and GUI without having to be a member or sign in?

8. luciddream

Sully... that would be an absolute GOD SEND if you could get that to me!

I tried searching but didn't find it. Plus I would just feel safer knowing it was coming from you.

9. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Here is a forum post.

http://www.esreality.com/index.php?a=post&id=1268470

and a link for the driver

http://www.funender.com/quake/files/misc/moudrv.html

I didn't bother to renew my domain name, so my website is down. I am in the process of learning to build web applications, so until I am done with that I won't bother with another. If anyone would like the GUI pm me and I will get it to you.

I think there was also a thread of interest in one of the steam forums as well that had a lot of good info.

later.

Sul.

10. luciddream

I appreciate it, but I have to register an account at that site just to click on the link for the driver. And sounds like the thing hasn't been tested much at all, and admittedly should be considered "beta". I think I'll pass.

If anyone has XP Pro SP3 running in a VM I'd be much obliged for some feedback as to how it works. I don't have that luxury and won't take the risk of fudging up my only machine.

I'd still love to get/take a look at that GUI though just in case I do decide to get this later on.

Thanks again.

11. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I had the same problem when I tried to download the driver from that site, you have to sign in or register. That page has instructions for configuring through the registry though, so a person wouldn't necessarily need the GUI.

12. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

When I experienced this issue in the past,I found that unticking the option "Enhance Pointer Precision" solved the problem.

Attached Files:

13. Sully

Sully Registered Member

That works only to a degree. Without going into the boring and somewhat confusing details, that button doesn't apply to something like gaming. If memory serves it has to do with direct input I think, hard to remember everything. You can easily find out more, but if you don't notice it, then put it out of your mind lol.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.