XP Home Windows CD help needed

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

ICE,

Yes, but updated for Sp2.

Simple Sp1 instructions from XP cd here (watch auto-run). ;)
    If you're Sp2 with no Support Tools as of yet installed or on the cd (?), "that" would be the correct download.

They're close and don't take up an obscene amount depending on choice of installation. I went with a "typical" install,
    forgot the size. PsTools are a nice, useful compliment I've had absolutely no trouble with. "Here" IS the page, right?

I'm still sp1 if you're memories up to snuff. :p :D

GF

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, GF :) that looks like the right link to pstools to me, there's few pages on their site that have links for it. i have taken a screenshot of the tools i have, i'll try and post it but that's one of the things that has been acting oddly with my firefox (managing attachments) so if the screenshot doesn't work i'll come back and try with IE or an image hosting site.

do you think the MS Support Tools might be on the SP2 disk? they aren't installed when SP2 is from the CD. i might try and browse the SP2 CD and see if there are any extra things on it. but, i'll download the tools now from the link.

the managing attachments isn't working i'll try with IE

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  4. GlobalForce

Ice,

Not the "right" link for SysInternals, for XP Support Tools! :eek:
    Yo buddy, you must have read this before the edit. :D

If the updated M$ tools are on the sp2 cd, I'd find it hard to believe they'd be anywhere other than the location in my link...My Computer, right click, select "explore" and look for the folder with the XP cd loaded. Check add/remove for the
    file if installed, but I doubt it. There's no reason for them to be included during a typical install, they were originally added
    for M$ support to remote troubleshoot. ;)

Most are command line, involved, and take time to become familiar with. Doesn't hurt to know
    what the heck they're used for either! :p Think I'm having the most fun with depends. :cool:
    http://img181.echo.cx/img181/7519/capture9272004102948pm42720051.jpg

GF

Attached Files:

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

sorry about that :oops: i wasn't 100% sure about the right downlaod page for pstools that's why i did the screenshot, but when i go to the home page and click on "UTILITIES" under the WINDOWS NT/2K/XP/2k3 than click on PsTools v2.15 i get to the link below vvv
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pstools.shtml
    when i download it the zip is 592 KB and it's the same link you gave. how big is your zip?

i just checked my Add/Remove programs and i don't have the support tools installed. i am looking on the SP2 CD now and the support tools are there. but, it makes a big thing about them only being for XP PRO, it goes on to say "They cannot be used to upgrade Microsoft® Windows NT® or Windows® 2000 Support Tools installed on Microsoft Windows NT or Windows 2000, respectively." it doesn't mention XP Home and i think i installed the same version before, just not from the CD, but the internet and they worked fine. i think i'll install them.

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just installed them from the SP2 disk. they are really good, i'm glad i remembered them :) :cool:

7. GlobalForce

ICE,

Good!

If you just installed XP Sp2 Home, pull'em off the cd and don't fret the big winds. Their reason for the pitch I'm sure is due to the fact that some of the tools are available only in a PRO environment, like that Group Policy Editor which doesn't work on XP Home when entering certain commands from within a run box. They'll be OK. ;)

That download from SysInternals....592kb's.

GF

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.