XP-Home: No Duration in Explore for MP3's and videos!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Dec 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

It used to be that in windows (XP-Home) I could click on columns and add duration, and then get the song durations in Windows Explorer. Well, I can still do that, only the values are not shown - the whole column is blank.

I have an MP3 tag editor and when I view the tags I can see that the duration information is present. Also, iTunes shows the duration information in its interface.

Then I noticed, while viewing film clips in Media Player Classic, that the media clips do not have the duration listed.

This seems pretty strange! They both used to!

-HandsOff

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

HandsOff, go to Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Regional Options tab, click on Customize and make sure that the Time tab has the right format. That's all I can think of.

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

I have xp pro and the "duration" column only shows time on MP3 files. Wav files do not show time.

4. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

JRViejo, and GroverB - First of all, sorry for the delay, but I appreciate your comments. I am going to check the date formatting as suggested, and yes, the MP3's would normally contain this information and XP should allow for the customization of a duration column.

Would anyone happen to know if this problem might be caused by exceeding the limit of folder customizations withing the whole XP file structure? I tend to think it is something more along the lines of tags being over written by other applications. I've noticed that some apps like Itunes will create blank comment field lines inside of the files metadata...after that some columns disappear. For some reason if you are able to delete the those extra comment fields which usually contain something like, 'Music Match version blah blah', then the columns will reappear.

I miss having that information at my disposal!

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.