XP Home Japanese+XP Pro English+DD10=OSS messed up

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by kostasy, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kostasy

kostasy Registered Member

Hi all, first post and unfortunately a problem
    I have a XP Home Japanese preloaded emachine to which I added my XP Pro English after partitioning with DD10 (I hear no other soft can handle Jap)

After several tries, I managed to have both shown in OSS and off I went. Occasionally though, the OSS would not show up on firing up the PC and it would ask for my emachine recovery cd which gave me the options to Recover (what?), Format, Quit (and load default OS). I would obviously choose the third option and it would load the XP Pro version.
    I think my settings were not 100% ok to start with, hence the occasional problem (i.e when setting up I did not know which partition should be active, bootable and all the rest in OSS, so it was a case of trial and error)

Yesterday, a colleague tried to turn on the PC in my absence and faced with the 3 options, unfortunately chose to Recover. :ouch: This meant that several files were copied from the emachine CD and the machine booted in XP Home Jap. The OSS even though showing the option for XP Pro, it would load the Jap version.
    Later I tried again to have OSS detect XP Pro properly but with no success - I deleted the entry from it, again trying changing active, bootable partitions but nothing. In the main DD10 screen also there is an option to change which partition is active, I tried that too.

The hard disk has four partitions:
    a) a small 2.x Gb where emachine recovery files reside
    b) a 17.x Gb where XP Home Japanese is installed
    c) a 58 Mb BOOTWIZ named partition (I guess this is where XP Pro is booted from)
    d) a 35 Gb where XP Pro English is installed

The boot.ini in b) only mentions the Japanese version and the system denies me editing it. I know I should have read more about how things work with a DD10 machine, but too little time :oops:

I would appreciate it, if somebody could help me with this mess and point to a site explaining in plain terms the DD10, OSS main issues: where their files reside, what are the Bootwiz folders, how they interact, where is the machine booted from etc.

Thanks in advance,
    Kostas

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Have you made the DD rescue CD?

You should have bootwiz folders on both partitions, this is where OSS keeps all the boot files. They were copied there when you first installed OSS.

Do you still have the icon in OSS for both partitions?

The easiest way to get OSS to play ball will be to uninstall it and then re-install and it should pick up both partitions. Is XP English still actually on your drive?

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.