XP hangs up after logon screen

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by auriell, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. auriell

auriell Registered Member

I installed ESS, updated signatures, went through some options, created few rules for firewall, and then rebooted. After passing windows logon screen system is totally frozen. I rebooted few more times, but no effect. I had to run into safe mode and manually delete ESS directory.

AMD 64 3000+, 2G RAM, winXP sp2 32bit (no other security software installed)

So I can install ESS, update signatures, make some fw rules, until first reboot. After that system hangs up (while starting) and machine is totally unusable.

2. korenwolf

korenwolf Registered Member

I have exactly the same problem under Windows XP. Under Windows Vista there's no problem.

3. Meister

Meister Registered Member

Was it stuck on "Loading your personal settings" or something?

Or you are just getting the splash screen for ESS and then nothing happens? I got the splash screen freeze when I disabled the ESS service (through services.msc).

Maybe there is some problem with user permissions that don't allow the service to start?

4. auriell

It was stuck just after logon window where you put in password for your account. There was no 'loading your personal settings' just blank screen (blue, but not BSOD)- I use no wallpaper, so can not say if it was windows standard 'no wallpaper screen'. It looked like normal startup, but no 'start' button, no desktop icons, nothing - just blank screen and frozen mouse pointer. I run with administrator privileges and ESS service was set to 'automatic'.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It'd be interesting to know whether the same happens with version 2.7. I encountered that problem on a computer full of malware when I installed NOD32 to clean it up.

6. auriell

The 2.7 was installed and updated before I upgraded to ESS (before installing ESS I uninstalled 2.7). After uninstalling ESS I went back to 2.7 and everything is ok. For sure system is free of malware as far as 2.7 finds nothing.

Edit: The system is a bit tweaked (some services disabled), so maybe this is the problem.

I had the same problem before with some process monitoring app called Gmer, when it was set to monitor and protect all system and user processes. It could not 'catch' some of the system processes starting up with system and just not let them run. As far as I remember the problem was that app text box with rule was displayed in Winlogn mode while system was alredy switched to default desktop.

So maybe there is similar problem with ESS firewall dialog box which tries to pop-up in Winlogon mode but could not be displayed because system switches too fast to default desktop. Just rough guess. (I set up ESS firewall to interactive not to automatic mode).

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  7. RealCybi

RealCybi Registered Member

Right now i had the same problem.

I rebooted the second time after installing ess and tried to login in my account with admin-rights.
    Just after hitting return in the password field on the login screen - the system hangs while continuing showing the login screen with the cursor after the last character i had inserted.

After resetting and this time trying to login using my user account everything works fine. I then changed over to the admin account without problems.

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

This never happended to me with NOD32 on any computer . Computer is 100% clean

However , I am having the same problem . It started appearing very often (but not always) . What I do to fix it is to go into Safe Mode , disable ESET service and stop Eset GUI to load on start-up .
    I reported that to your (ESET) email.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.