XP Drops Internet Connection

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nyounce, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nyounce

nyounce Registered Member

I am running XP Pro, Service Pack 3, accessing the Internet through a Linksys Wireless router. I have two desktops that are hardwired to the router. One of the computers has recently started dropping the internet, after about two or three minutes of connection. A message window appears stating that the Network Connection has "timed out", and I have to re-boot to again access the internet. The second computer running XP Home continues to remain connected. I have bypassed the router by connecting directly to the modem, and experience the same problem. I have disabled automatic IP detection and manually addressed both computers to the router. My LAN card is built into my ASUS motherboard, and the ASUS technician determined that the LAN management is functioning normally. What options remain?

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Is it nvidia chip/nic?

Set the 'Link Speed' to 10 or 100 fd or hd (full duplex or half duplex). Especially prevelant on nvidia based nic's using gigabit nic to 10/100 router. Either way, trial and error by changing those will let you know if it is an auto-negotiation issue, which happens from time to time.

You may find these settings in the nic properties, usually in the Advanced tab.

Sul.

3. nyounce

Installed new PCI LAN card with link speed set to 100fd with no change in the problem. Reinstalled and updated ASUS chip drivers to no avail. The connection seems to "time out" after no activity for a few minutes regardless of whether or not I select other websites, or just leave it on a single website. When I check the IP configuration, or ping the IP address, it remains the same with the IP address of 192.168.1.104; the Subnet Mask at 255.255.255.0, and the Default Gateway at 192.168.1.1. The Ping results show 4 packets sent and recovered with 0% loss. The round trip times report as 0ms. While I was using the on-board LAN features on the ASUS board, the IP Address was reported to be 192.168.1.101.

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

You should try a direct connection to modem or try another router. Never know.

Sul.

5. yeow

yeow Registered Member

Try swapping the cable?

6. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Check out the power management settings for the NIC. Make sure allow the computer to turn this device off is not checked.

7. nyounce

Computer has the same problems when connected directly to the modem. Which identity determines how long to wait before deciding to terminate with the "time out" message. Is that system call, or is that my provider? If is is a system call, where do I change the timing parameter?

8. nyounce

The drop out problem seems to be related more to inactivity than anything else. Can anyone explain to me who controls the timing to determine when to drop the connection? Is it an ISP determination, or is it System related?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.