xp doesn't see my 3gb of ram, hep me

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mantra, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi
    i use xp sp2 and i have 3Gb installed
    well for the bios there are 3Gb installed

on the windows system , there are 3GB of ram

but i run photoshop cs3 and lightzone (not lightroom) and in photoshop ,in the performance i can have only 1703 Mb same for lightzone

is there a cure?

thanks

2. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

How much memory does your GPU have? In 32 bit os if the system ram is approx. 3G or more then os will subtract your GPU ram from the total. So if your using 600mb of ram idling, and you have a GPU with 500mg of ram then your down to approx under 2G left. If you have an enable memory hole remapping option in bios, that may help some, at least in Vista or 7, not sure about XP.

3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

If that was the case, then this wouldn't be happening -

Photoshop (and Light-whatever) can only use available RAM (idling), that is, RAM not already used by system.
    In other words, 1.3GBs are occupied by your OS.

There is no cure.

Cheers,

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Performance trouble? Tim Slattery covers this on his members.cox.net page. Then there's Adobe's CS3 and 4 optimization pages.

5. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Would you elaborate on that further? When I was duel booting my machine with XPx86 and Vistax64 with 8G of ram and a GPU with 500mg of ram, XP would only see 2.5G of ram. While in XP, when idling I used approx. 500mb of ram and only had 2G left over for anything else.

6. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    sorry i didn't understand
    GPU is video card , it has 512mb of ram
    and my motherboard has 3gb of ram

i did not understand

i have an american megatrends bios

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

to get beyond all these,its my experience that all versions of photoshop will benefit by use of a RAMDISK.
    In my case i have 8 gig installed on a simple 32 bit XP( you know the limitations)but with a RAMDISK all 8 gig are used ,mainly for the PS pagefile,which can become huge after some time,approx. 4 gig.
    Now anything related to PS happens in memory so you can imagine that my applications are ferari like on steroids. lol.
    No need for expensive raid setups dedicated to external scratch disks used by many.
    I brought this up many times but it seems i'm speaking to the deaf,very sad. o_O

8. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    how can i make a ramdisk to gain photoshop?

9. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Not exactly... :D

I have been reading your posts about and I tried to use RamDisk (I'm using Gavotte; it seems you adviced Romex, that I didn't try; Gavotte is working nicely here).

Like I don't work with PhotoShop I use RamDisk for temp. net files - and to sandbox folder, that is excellent when using Sandboxie.

So... thanks to bring to flight "this up many times"...

:shifty:

10. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

To not repeat myself in explaining things over and again,you'd better read the info on their website,they have a forum and staff respond quickly on questions.
    Gavotte free ramdisk is just enough for internet cache and things but if you need huge memory space beyond the 4 gig seen by the 32 bit OS then you have to look for a ramdisk software that can use the 4 gig and beyond,that is memory invisible to the OS.
    For me with a year of frequent heavy use,the RAMDISK from ROMEX software seems very solid.
    http://www.romexsoftware.com/main/products/vsuite.html

!!!....If you have the Ramdisk installed sucsesfully then in Photoshop preferences assign the Ramdisk to be the first disk for the scratch file,basically using RAM for the scratch/page disk

11. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thank you so much , very kind

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.