XP does not load usb modem driver

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Amj, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amj

Amj Guest

Hi everybody

Just subscribed to Broadband but I am having problems installing. When I try to install my usb modem speedtouch 330 with my ISP cd rom windows XP recognises the usb modem however It can't detect or load the drivers, thus found new hardware wizard keeps propping up.

I have followed all the troubleshooting stuff I cound find on help, tried googling and tried contacting my ISP but to no avail.

It is a windows authorised driver you can check the site www.speedtouch.co.uk/330.asp

can you please help!!!

2. hadi

hadi Guest

didnt you get a driver CD with your modem

3. Amj

Amj Guest

yes I did, like I said i tried this first with the cd that I got from my ISP, but after several tries I phoned them and they told me to manually install the driver from the manufacturers site which I also did but to no avail.

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I had the same problem with an SBLive! soundcard. I just removed the card and placed it on another PCI slot, and it worked fine. Then I put the card on the same PCI slot again, and it still worked fine. Maybe it was just dust.

5. Amj

Amj Guest

Hi firecat, this is a usb modem. I have a total of six usb ports and have tried them all with no luck.

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Did you try upgrading your motherboard drivers or BIOS?

I got this from the SpeedTouch website:

7. Amj

Amj Guest

Yes I do have the latest drivers my + my PC is less than 12 months old

8. que sera

que sera Guest

@ Amj

are there any instructions given for how to proceed the installation? I remember from installing a similar device (but from another company) it was important to install the driver from CD before the modem was plugged into the usb port of the computer. An installation wizard from CD then should guide you through the process and tell you when to plug in the modem. I wonder if this could be the case here, too?

Regards,

qs

9. Amj

Amj Guest

Yes there are, the ISP CD goes through a setup wizard. It installs the drivers first before showing several images of connecting the USB modem, it's very easy to follow.

The problem is that once the USB modem is attached on comes the microsoft add new hardware wizard saying that it has detected the hardware which it identifies correctly but asks to search for a suitable driver. The modem icon in the notification area also indicates that the modem is not unplugged.

I phoned my ISP who advised me to download the speedtouch driver from the website which I did and again tried to install SAME PROBLEM.

for anyone who is aware of this modem it keeps flashing red when modem is connected via usb.

10. Amj

Amj Guest

Thanks for all your suggestions I have tried everything I could, ISP's technical support have told me to send the modem back. I will let you know how everything goes.

Cheers

11. G-Force

G-Force Guest

12. Amj

Amj Guest

Cheers G-Force I appreciate it

Have tried everything from the MS link earlier

13. G-Force

G-Force Guest

Sure Amj,

I not certain, but from earlier comments it may have to do with the order of how you're trying to hook everything up.
    You'll get it, you sound persistent! ;) If I locate a specific page you'll be sure to know.

GF

14. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi
    Just a thought. If modem(all do these days) has it. Why dont you use ethernet cable it is faster and doesnt need any driver.

15. Amj

Amj Guest

Hi guyz recieved the new modem today but still the same problem. What else can I do?

16. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hi Amj,

You must be getting pretty frustrated by now Mate....not wishing to state the obvious but can we take it your phone company has activated your line, and you have your Broadband Log-in and Password?..

I have the same modem as you, (Tesco ISP) I followed the given instructions to the letter and everything went like a dream, I installed the Software as directed (DO NOT plug in the Modem until prompted by the installation software) then connect up as directed..once your connected and the software is installed...Double click the icon (Whatever your ISP) on your Desktop...in the dial-up window...stick in your login and Password...click connect and I was away.

I take it you have checked that all your connections are OK.

It doesn't appear to be your Modem if the second one has the same prob....it ain't your USB ports if you've tried them all....(Just trying to eliminate stuff here)....I think it has to be to do with the original installation..can you delete it all and start again..........?

Cochise, :cool:

17. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Had a similar prob on my older machine.There was a setting somewhere in cmos or bios which had to be set at usb device enabled or something along those lines.

18. shrek

shrek Guest

I had a similar experience involving 2 similar installations, XP with SP2. However, Computer A upgraded to SP2 from SP1 while Computer B installed XP with SP2. Computer A had no problem recognizing a 512 Thumb disk with USB 2.0 while Computer B could never recognize the same disk.

I hope this experience can give you more clues...

19. hadi

hadi Guest

I think shrek has hit the nail
    Look in BIOS for:
    1-"USB legacy mode support" and set it to "auto"
    I dont know why you insist on USB. coz ethernet is faster and doesnt need any driver whatever the modem make. So
    2-Just in case you decide to use ethernet make sure "onboard lan" is set to "enabled"

20. Amj

Amj Guest

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone

Well I gave up on the problem and have completed a clean install of XP this morning. Everything is ok now.

Thank you all (hadi, Firecat, que sera, G-Force, Cochise, Franklin and shrek... hope I didn't miss anyone)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.