XP Custom Backgrounds

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by EASTER, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I need real help with this if at all possible. If it's a simple system file hack with ResHack that's doable. As many of you might know i continually customize XP Pro to fill in gaps left by $M when it comes to appearances. I left a topic and post at a customize site but it's gone unanswered for days.

I know there MUST be a simple mod to accomplish such a minor interest as this. All i want to do is add a bitmap to both My Computer background and also Control Panel background of my choosing but haven't been able to add anything in the registry to bring this about.

Any ideas on how to do this? One little very Kool mod i use i'll share with you. On bootup screen (XP) you can add any bitmap (path) and it will show up nicely as your PC is preparing to move into the GUI and is pretty slick really. If interested......

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop
    Look for the string Wallpaper-REG_SZ-[none] Click Wallpaper and Modify then add the path to your bitmap and it's done. Next time you reboot instead of that blank gap low & behold your selected bitmap is now displayed before it enters the GUI. I use a Vista bitmap just like vista, works perfect on XP and no slow downs adding the pic. Just another more attractive look to an otherwise BORING startup.

EASTER

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well, i use ShellIcons freeware to change ANY folder backdrop + icon but when it comes to CONTROL PANEL or MY COMPUTER you can't do it with any program i run across, but thanks, WinMatrix & AquaSoft Forums have been my chief sites for all sorts of customizations for years.

I wonder if these screens are instead Applets? Those can be ResHacked too to mod them up from plain jane look.

4. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

That's actually in TweakUI (Logon->Settings)

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Naturally that would be easily overlooked. LoL I use TweakUI only to add background images to the IE & Explorer menu window frames so thanks for the info.

There MUST though be some small mod to add a background to My Computer/Control Panel though. Ever run across any reads that cover these?

Thanks EASTER

Check these out if you or your girl are into snazzy eye candy animations. Makes a great fun conversation feature for children, i've tried Stars & Magic Formation along with Flip 3-d. So why do the Orientals have the corner on desktop enhancements like these?
    http://www.tokyodownstairs.com/

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Being the avid modder that i am this is driving me bananas, any takers care to have a crack at it?

I posted on 2 different well-known customization forums and still just like here, no answer or even some suggestion, so i'll repeat again for what it's worth.

All i want to do is apply a background image to My Computer where our drives, floppy, and CD drives show. Also apply a background image to Control Panel but seems no one has even a remote clue as to how this might be done.

I don't mind ResHacking since i already done a bang up job on shell32.dll/msgina.dll to mimic Vista's as well as modded the run box. But biy this one you would think wouldn't be such a mystery.

I'm open to any suggestions no matter what. You can change drive icons and make them show measurement scales like Vista, so why not add a simple backdrop image to it too?

Thanks

I even tried pulling it to desktop and applying CUSTOMIZE with the Shell Icons program, but it refuses to stick. I bet it's got something to do with the Wiki code you see above, the GUID. I won't quit till i get it done.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.