XP and quad core CPUs

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Durad, Sep 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Durad

Durad Registered Member

Can somebody explane does Windows XP support quadcore CPUs and does it use its full power?

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Absolutely. XP Home/Professional both support quad CPUs. "Supporting" quad CPUs on Windows is more application specific.

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

As LockBox said. It is more application specific.

However Windows will do a pretty good job of handling itself so most applications will get the full use of the resources it needs.

4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

On one system I have Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz overclocked to 2.83Ghz and running XP Pro x64-bit. This is extremely fast, Quads run at full throttle on 64 so 64 is the way to go. Most Custom made systems now are supplied with 64-bit as 4GB of ram is the go these days, a x32-bit system will only use approximately 3.25GB of a 4GB RAM leaving the other .75 wasted.

However to maximize this issue, If you have 2 internal drive C: and D: or an external drive for data, Enable the page filing for both drives as system managed, you then get an extra 8GB virtual RAM to speed up your system

5. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

in regard to ram restrictions on 32 bit systems,yes 3,25 gig of ram can be used at most,rest is for system and such.
    If your motherboard allow that,fill every slot with ram,in my case i have 8 gig on a 32 bit xp and its fully used,mostly for photoshop pagefile(scratchdisk)
    I use a RAMDISK to get the full 8 gig used and its unbelievable how fast photoshop will get the bitscrunching done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.