XP accounts

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Can't tell, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Can't tell

Can't tell Guest

Hi everyone

I know of 2 types of accounts on WXP: admin and limited...

Admin has all the tweaking/config rights, the limited has only a fraction of those...

When logged on as an admin, is there a way to add some specific rights to the limited accounts ? Or is it just black or white ?

Thanks

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

all the answers to your questions are here

bigc

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  3. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Can't tell- I'm not sure if you had a certain priviledge in mind.

If all you want is to share certain files, you can put them in the shared folders.

If you are talking about controlling access to a program you can add and remove it from all users.

But if you want to protect private documents, or prevent missuse of criticle areas you might find the answer in applications, rather than windows itself.

some programs block access to internet settings and ability to use regedit. In those cases you would have to install them in the users account and then control access to it. My firewall and antivirus can be password protected, so you could do all kinds of customizing what sites can be permitted and then just set the password. The same with my backup softwared. It makes a certain amount of sense that some things you don't want other people play with.

Don't know what you need to do, but if its important you probably need a third party program designed to protect, or encrypt, or whatever.

- HandsOff

4. Can't tell

Can't tell Guest

Hi

I recently read in another forum that a guy had a problem to restore backup image files with Drive Image... He would image his c drive and save the image on d (probably second partition of disk 1). Everything would go well. But then, when trying to restore, the image file would not be accessible, although without any defect. Going to dos to restore the image would do the job.

There seems to be an access problem to certain files on d, although connected as admin. Might have tweaked settings in Windows/System, but what ?

Asking 'cause I had a similar problem last year with Norton Ghost... I had tweaked in System also to disable unuseful features, but probably overreached.... The image was correct becauseI could browse it with the image explorer.

Dunno. :(

5. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I'm not familiar with ghost but I would suggest maybe making a new post with a title something like "ghost does not recognize..." or something.

The first time i restored using my Dantz software i was amazed. I was in windows telling windows to

1 - delete itself
    and then

2- recreate itself.

But it worked! These programs have access to some special abilities! One thing I have heard:

*** if you are using removable media, especially *** that the service called
    "Removeable Storage" may have to be disabled in services.

Secondary Storage, Security Accounts Management, and Protected Storage, all seem to play some role in user authorization,

and Volume ShadowCopy, MS Software Shadow Copy Provider (and Removeable storage) seem to be used in conjunction with Microsofts built in backup/restore feature. which may conflict with a third party software.

Do you disable Sytem Restore? Those are what come to mind, but I'd see if those conflict with settings that are working for someone else.

- HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.