xmon cpu load

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by Windsor, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Windsor

Windsor Registered Member

Hi all
    A client of ours has 5 offices with a server at each office running AD and exchange. The exchange server that handles incoming external email (IBM server dual xeon 3.2GHz, 3GB RAM, Server 2003 R2 SP1) has had a couple of issues lately. two weeks ago (October 16) exchange slowed to a crawl and users were getting constant warning messages that Outlook was trying to communicate with the Exchange server. the problem seemed to be resolved with the next update but the same thing happened again today and again fixed with an update. Thats all ok now, but I noticed last time there was a problem, that xmon was causing the store.exe service to use a constant 25% processor time. restarting just the info store made no difference, but after applying the nod32 update and restarting xmon and the info store, this dropped down to a normal pattern varying between 0 and 10%. I noticed a couple of days later that the info store was back to sitting on 25% CPU load again (but all seemed to be functioning correctly) and it stayed at 25% until the problem we had this morning. Turning off xmon and restarting the info store dropped the usage back to minimal again, and restarting xmon and the info store after the update hasn't caused any increase in CPU load yet. The other 4 exchange servers don't seem to have this issue of high load but they also host fewer mailboxes (80 mailboxes on the problem server and 20-50 on each of the others).
    Is this normal behaviour for xmon?
    Thanks in advance
    Geoff

2. GhostMan

GhostMan Eset Staff Account

Hi

are there any differences between servers in XMON settings? Check if background scanning is active and if yes, disable it on problematic server.

Regards.

3. Windsor

Hi Ghostman thanks for the reply
    I checked all the servers and they're all configured the same. Background scanning was on, so I disabled it on the problem server. It didn't help though. restarting the info store dropped the load for a while but it soon crept back to 25% and Outlook began failing again. Disabling xmon fixed both problems. any other suggestions?

4. Windsor

Hi All
    This problem is still occurring. I left XMON turned off for a couple of days and there were no problems. Turned it back on and problem reoccurred. I checked the XMON version and it was 2.51, so I upgraded it to the latest but the problem is still there. It works for up to a few hours then the Store.exe process jumps to 25%+ processor usage and everyone's Outlook stops communicating with Exchange (its possibly still working but extremely slowly). Any other suggestions? I didn't reboot the server after installing 2.71 is that likely to be an issue?
    thanks

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

How many scan threads does XMON use? Does setting one thread make a difference?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.