XCleaner software?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by ArchAngel_8, Jan 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArchAngel_8

ArchAngel_8 Registered Member

Hey... I hope I'm posting this in the correct thread.... :rolleyes: I am using two adware/spyware programs ..
    Adware 6.0 and X Cleaner.
    I have not hreard anybody mention Xcleaner and I was wondering if it is just not well known or if its is not well regarded? Any info would be appriciated... :D

2. ArchAngel_8

Yes I posted this in the wrong thread... Sorry! If one of the moderators could redirect it to the correct thread... Thanks... :rolleyes:

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

How about here (Privacy Software)? I think this is the right place. :)

Hmm, I've never used XCleaner so hopefully someone will come along that has some information on it.

4. ArchAngel_8

Thanks again LowWaterMark... Its getting late and the coffee has run out... :(

5. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi ArchAngel_8,

XCleaner does what it claims to do, but it is not quite up in the league where AdAware and Spybot S&D are IMO.

Regards,

Pieter

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Guest

dunno how good xcleaner is either but, they have a free version you could try.
    http://www.xblock.com/download-freeware.shtml

7. ArchAngel_8

I have the paid version. It seems to work ok but its set-up/interface is more like windowwasher than other adware/spyware programs. I was just curious why I had never heard of anyone mentioning it good or bad. I think I will be downloading Spybot serch and destroy though.

8. JayK

JayK Poster

I guess the idea of xcleaner is that it can fit easily on one floppy so you can use it on the go. They also claim to be better at detecting commerical keyloggers if memory serves.

9. ArchAngel_8

Hi..
    or
    Yes XCleaner does fit on a floppy or USB drive.. and I use it on occasion to clear info on the computer at work. It also has a cool.. Passwoed genorator and a "file Shredder"which supposidally will delete to DOD standards! :rolleyes: It also can Inoculate your machine against numerous spy/Ad ware.. but I have been hesitant to do so...
    I think it is a decent program.. I just think somthing is "fishy" that the menbers of WILDERS do not mention it often...
    P.S. I say that because the MEMBERS of WILDERS.com certainally mention all the BEST! :D

10. JayK

JayK Poster

Like all forums, the people here have favourites, just because it isn't mentioned here it doesn't mean it isn't good.

More often than not, most people follow the lead of a couple of core members, so if these members for some reason don't have a reason to try something else (cos they are happy with what they have), another promising or equally good product will be ignored .

Besides, I'm pretty sure xcleaner has being mentioned here a few times before, it just doesn't have a huge following,

11. ArchAngel_8

:D COOL.. I like it because I can have it on a USB drive and run it on other computers... But I do need a second adware/spyware defense. I'm thinking of Sybot Search & Destroy..

12. wvman45

wvman45 Registered Member

I have used X-Cleaner for professional and personal use for approximately one year. True, one of it's good selling points is its portability. But it is also good at catching commercial spyware apps. I was doing an assessment of a couple of such apps, SpyBuddy and ISpyNow, at work. SS&D and A-A did not detect these programs. X-Cleaner, however, did. In addition, it's a good all around utility to have in your professional toolkit.

Chuck

13. ArchAngel_8

:D Well I am glad to here XCleaner has some "fans"...lol
    I initially used NIS 2004, and a spyware/adware program called SpyHunter(Enigima Software). While doing a AV scan in NIS 2004 it detected an adware file called Bi.net adware. NIS was unable to delete it and SpyHunter didn't even catch it! I then got rid of SpyHunter and got Adware 6.0 and Xcleaner. Between the two Bi.net was removed, unfortunately I did not check to determine which one. But I am definitally happy with Adware 6 and XCleaner as a team....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.