x64 xp or x86 xp?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sach1000rt, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sach1000rt

sach1000rt Registered Member

I have 64bit compatible processor. so which will be better to use ?
    xp x64 or xp x86? in terms of security which will be good?and above all i will be doing some 3d animation stuff on my machine so please advise.

2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

3D animation takes lots of memory so 64bits Windows is better choice because 64 bits can addres far bigger memory chunks ,your animations render also faster and more smooth if you upgrade to at least 3 or 4 gig of ram,64 bits can handle that,also with 64 bits there is no need for pagefile because of the huge amount of ram 64 bits can use ,everything is placed in ram so your system is faster,thus the more ram the more 64 bits will thrive.Even go up to 250 gig theoretically.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  3. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

To use XP64, you must ensure that all your hardware/application will work fine. XP64 is useful if you need to address more than 3 GB of memory.

4. Arup

Arup Guest

XP64 works fine here day in, day out, I don't do any games with it though I have been told most work fine on it except for few. To put full use of your x64 CPU, its justified that you use XP64, programs like Paint.Net with native x64 support just simply fly on it, specially if its a huge size file.

5. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Everything processed in X64 is performed in two separate 32 bit strings = 64 fed to the processor together as a single string, effectively doubling your performance even when running a 32 bit program. That is true of Processing sequence as well as memory load. Memory by the way in X32 is maxed out at 2 Gig, 3 if you tweak the registry, and it will only matter for the few specialized 32 bit applications specially coded for it. While X64 will run all programs with full memory recognized and utilized...

I love X64, for it's increased performance and stability...

The drawback is that there are less properly coded drivers, and even fewer programs fully coded in 64 bit have reduced the performance spectrum of 64 bit processing so that is has yet to be fully realized on consumer class applications. Even more so on Multi core 64bit platforms since this also requires a multi threaded design which is proving to be a daunting task for developers...

However all your 32 bit applications will perform faster due to the doubling of processing strings from 32 to 64 bit and increase memory space.

I hope my explanation is simple and clear...:)

6. Hermescomputers

I am playing GRAW 1 & 2 on X64 with no trouble at all... In fact it's great!

7. DevilFrank

DevilFrank Registered Member

What about Vista x64?
    It´s the better choice. Isn´t it?

8. Hermescomputers

I have yet to try and play with it. I still have no customers who have it and I don't know anyone with it either.... Strange if it's the better choice.

In fact online I read more about people downgrading from Vista to XP for miscellaneous reasons than voices bragging about how good Vista is in any flavors... I wonder why?

9. DevilFrank

I did switch from XP x86 to Vista Ultimate x64 here and have to say: Wow...
    That´s a P4 DualCore with 2GB Ram and a Sapphire X1550 (512 MB) here and I have to see how fast programs starts.
    An example: I did rip a DVD with Nero 7 and at the same time Windows-Defender did start the scheduled scan while I did browse the net and streamed music from digitally imported via WMP. It works properly - no delay at stream and the CPU was busy to ~70%.

That impressed me...

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i am finding it hard to decide weither to get vista home premium 32 or 64 bit.
    so am i right in thinking you need all 64bit drivers but you can use 32bit software on it?
    tbh i dont know why microsoft even bothered with a 32bit vista since processers even from around 3 years ago are 64bit. if vista was only 64bit companies would make better 64bit drivers.
    the thing is i need to make sure all the applications i want to use will work on vista 64 bit. i dont want to be limited by the 3gb memory barrier of 32bit OS if all my programs work on vista 64bit.
    @devilfrank,
    so by pentium dual core do you mean pentirum D?
    lodore

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  11. Hermescomputers

Most business type applications will work, ok in 64 bit CPU & OS without much modification, thanks for the cooperation between Microsoft and AMD on this, but utilities like firewalls and Anti virus or other security type utilities are still trying to catch up...

Now don't get to excited about why 64 bit is not fully implemented yet. Most developers suck at programing for 64 bit code and most specially when it comes to doing multi threaded work. For various excuses they delay upgrading their software to multi threads, probably because they cant or don't know how and that speaks volume to the current state of software development... It will probably take the release of 128 bit Processor to stimulate them to progress to X64 standards...

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello hermies computer,
    i might play it safe and get 32bit version of vista to be on the safe side.
    but ive got till around christmas to work that out.
    lodore

13. Hermescomputers

Nice!
    I am curious... What Firewall & AV are u using and do all your programs work?
    what about drivers for your devices?
    Did you have to compromise heavily?

14. ahriman

ahriman Registered Member

I'm using Vista Business x64, having recently switched from XP Pro x86.

AVG (free) is working fine. Firewall is Jetico 2. Counterspy, BOClean and Windows Defender are all co-existing without rancour.

All of my hardware is supported: SATA hard drives and DVD, Wacom graphics tablet works--I downloaded an updated driver for Vista.

I'm really pleased with Vista. I have some programs that I'm not installing because I know they'll be problems and I don't use them that often anyway, for example Adobe CS2. But Painter X runs perfectly. It depends what programs are important to you.

15. DevilFrank

It´s a P4 531 LGA775 3.0GHZ 1MB 90NM 64 Bit 800MHZ with two logical processors.

16. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

That's HyperThreading. Dual-core = two physical processors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.