x64 Virtual System

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by whitedragon551, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I currently use Comodo Firewall without Defense + and Avira Antivir as active protection. I have Spyware Blaster and MBAM for on demand scanning.

Im looking for a virtual system that is x64 compatible. I liked the easy layout and interface of Returnil from the screenshots, but I dont want to use a beta. The beta comes with an antivirus that I dont need.

Sandboxie and Shadowdefender didnt have system requirements so that leads me to believe they are above average.

Anything else to consider? Or can I choose what pieces of Returnil to install.

2. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I have been wondering basically the same thing. I think Returnal is one of the few options right now. Doesn't KIS 2010 have a sandbox? Don't know how it works on x64 though. Acronis 2009 has a "try and decide feature" which is virtualization that runs on x64. It is a lot like Returnal, you turn it on and your virtualized, and then you can either accept changes made to the os or turn it off in windows and then reboot if you don't want to keep any changes to the os or just reboot and you will be given a choice in the boot process whether to stay virtualized or not. Could come in handy when installing software that requires a reboot because it would install correctly (I think) after reboot and could still be virtualized. Developers are coming around though. Slowly but surely more and more software is becoming x64 compatible. I think that the amount of end users using x64 will grow rapidly after Win7 hits the shelves. I don't see why not.

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Faronics DeepFreeze works very well with x64 systems. I also would rather have Shadow defender because of its 'commit' feature, but the developer said it would take some time.

4. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Is DeepFreeze an annual license?

5. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Nope,one time fee :thumb:

6. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Do you have the standard edition on your personal computer?
    The reason why I ask is, they only talk about large network environments on
    their product page and not home pcs.

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

One can get the standard version, and when you buy the license, included is also a year maintenance, which means any upgrades taking place within the year are free. The program will continue working forever unless there is a major change like from XP to Vista.

http://www.faronics.com/html/choose.asp?software=1, 3

What I'd be interested to know, with all this talk about the new x64 kernel patch guard making it so difficult for a lot applications, why isn't DF affected by it, or as it has been suggested, is the virtual system not as robust as in the X32 version?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.