X-wall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ccsito, Sep 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I had a quick play here

3. Seishin

Seishin Registered Member

I let you decide after what Stem said in here:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2007
  4. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Thanks gesc and Stem for the link and reply postings. For some reason, I tried to search for this program name on the forum and came up with no hits. o_O It looks like the program offers little to no outbound protection and needs another supplement to it.

Stem - your earlier test of Safezone indicated that it failed quite a few of the leak tests. Did the program ever try to phone home? It looks like A-wall and Safezone adds a LSP to the system that may cause conflicts with other programs. Do all firewall programs add a LSP component to the system?

It seems that quite a few firewall programs might need some backup protection. I was looking at the possibility of retaining the Windows XP firewall and adding a HIPS program such as Antihook, Dynamic Security Agent, or System Safety Monitor to it. Do you think that would provide be an adequate barrier for a PC?

5. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

A-Wall is a simple application firewall, unfortunately the firewall allows applications network access based on name only, there is no check on location and no checksum. But if used correctly with other software HIPS, then I see no real problem

I did not see any attempt by this firewall to make any unauthorized comms
    A-Wall does not change the LSP,... it is the more advanced firewalls in thier line that do, such as S-Wall.

No.

Some HIPS programs do now include "Network access" protection, this with WinXP firewall is a relatively good combination.

6. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Originally posted by Stem

I read that AppDefend offers network access protection, but Process Guard does not. Are there others?
    Thanks.

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

As well as Appdefend,....SSM2.2(still in beta), and Prevx (advanced mode) that I know of. There is also the upcoming release of "Online armor" with firewall (beta).

8. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Thanks. I saw the update to SSM 2.2 mention that. I wasn't aware of the others and will look those up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.