www.grc.com test failed?

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by trebla, Nov 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trebla

trebla Registered Member

I don't know much at all about ports open ,closed stealth etc.I did the test
    from www.grc.com and failed the stealth test and the 'All service ports' test said I had Ports 80 and 255 open with only 23 and 254 at stealth.I have the 'Enhanced ruleset' loaded.

Common Ports test
    Open Ports- 80
    Stealth - 23
    Closed - 0,21,22,25,79,110,113,119,135,139,143,389,443,445,1002,1024,
    Whatever this all means!
    The Internet Filtering rules are all Greek to me,no offence to our Greek friends.

2. Thomas M

Thomas M Registered Member

We need some more information to help you: Which version of LnS are you using? What version of Windows?

I just tested GRC. It seems to work OK at the moment.

Can you check in your internet filtering ruleset of LnS
    (1) that it is marked as active
    (2) that the rule called "TCP : Block incoming connections (with syn-flag only)" is activated

Finally please go to http://www.pcflank.com and repeat the stealth test. Sometimes the scanners are not working properly.

Thomas :)

3. trebla

trebla Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.XP Pro and v2.05.
    I did what you suggested and got the same results from www.grc.com
    And this is what I go from http://www.pcflank.com .
    What setrttins do I have to put into Internet filtering ?

Quick Test

Danger!
    The test found open port(s) on your system: 80
    The test also found visible port(s) on your system: 21, 135, 137, 138, 139, 1080, 3128 etc,etc,etc
    Recommendation:
    It is urgent that you install personal firewall software. PC Flank recommends Outpost Firewall Pro.

If you have already installed and are using a firewall, check if it is set to make all the ports of your computer closed and invisible (hidden). If you have any problems adjusting your firewall, get help from the firewall developer. If the firewall is correctly set but fails this test, replace the firewall software and redo this test.

Stealth Test

Packet' type Status
    TCP "ping" non-stealthed
    TCP NULL non-stealthed
    TCP FIN non-stealthed
    TCP XMAS non-stealthed
    UDP non-stealthed

Recommendation:
    Install personal firewall software. PC Flank recommends Outpost Firewall Pro.

4. Thomas M

Thomas M Registered Member

Hmm, maybe the other experts here must help me:

(1) Do you see any logs in your LnS when you run the test at grc.com? This should test, if your LnS is actually active.
    (2) And in the options page of LnS did you mark the correct network interface ??

Thomas :)

5. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Im not one of those experts but have you activated enhanced ruleset.rsl
    If you are running with Standard ruleset. rsl, it if I remember rightly does not pass the GCR.com. To load up Enhanced ruleset click on " internet filtering " tab > load > double click Enhanced ruleset> save
    I wouldnt be to anxious about PC Flank test .

6. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

OK don't panic about it

how are you doing the test

are you connected directly to the net via dial up or cable or whatever or do you conect via a network

I see this frequently when you connect via network or proxy server and the tests are checking the proxy server NOT your computer

check carefully that the IP number it says it is connected to is your actual IP number

7. trebla

trebla Registered Member

I have my modem checked.I didn' get messages in the log after testing at grc.com.
    Have enclosed pic of my options.

Attached Files:

8. trebla

trebla Registered Member

Yes I have EnhancedRulesSet.rls activated.
    I think dvk01 might be on the right track the IP is not mine but my service provider.I am connected directly to ADSL Broadband.
    How do I test my ip address?
    Sorry but I don't know much about all this.

9. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

10. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

GRC normally is able to get through your ISP proxy to test but PCflank never does

11. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Many xDSL, Cable+ ISPs gives their users External IP that is different than an Internal IP. Check what you have for an “IP Address:” in the Look ‘n’ Stop “Welcome” screen, does it match the Internal IP shown in your connections properties? Or the “IP Address:” is shown as 0.0.0.0? In this case disable “Automatic selection” in “Options” screen shown under “Network Interfaces”, and checkmark the "Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast..." then click “Apply” button. Now check the Look ‘n’ Stop “Welcome” screen, does it show the correct Internal IP Address?

12. trebla

trebla Registered Member

Did that thanks.I selected the BIllion Configuration as thats my modem the Realtek is installed but not used .My IP now shows in the "Welcome" Dialogue area.Went back to www.grc.com still puts up my ISP as the computer address.

13. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Many xDSL, Cable+ ISPs gives their users External IP that is different than an Internal IP.

This is normal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.