Wuts Wid Dis Active X Fingy on Ere Den !

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Spanner intheWorks, Dec 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

have you ever considered typing your post's in actual english useing the alphabet :D :D ;)

2. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

Hello Mr.P ;)

As far as I know, Wilders don't use ActiveX...or do they ?

3. ~*Nat*~

With all do Respect bigc, I see alphabetic letters...nothing alien about it :) ;)

It's his personality...its all good. Of course, some people like to type looong.....
    Accept one another as we are, hmm? :) :) :)

4. bigc73542

It was in jest, it is just interesting the way he uses the english language. And surely he can use it as he pleases

bigc ;)

5. ~*Nat*~

It sure does take some practice and occasionally re-reading though, doesn't it
    bigc ...;) :D

6. bigc73542

Yep it does that :D

7. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Love it! You ppls had me n stitches ya no. N keep up with n that broken/chop dialect lol :D
    I n do appreciate all ur n helpful posts Mr.P....sorry if n I got lil outta control lol, 2 funny. :D

I'll have a go wit dis n active thingy lol, probably get some input by LWM. :ninja:

GF

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

[glow=yellow][shadow=white]this is activex :cool: i think[/glow][/shadow]

if i did it right its activex, you need activex to see it though :D :D

9. ~*Nat*~

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

my post is activex thats why. all of daisey's posts have activex too because of her sig. its activex, or it was about 4 months ago when i last used IE. :D next time say yes to the activex popup and you'll see it :)

11. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

It may very well b the live links throughout the site, but I think they're all hosted through the Wilder's server, I think.
    I'm reasonably confident the administrators have things under control here on-site.

I do know active scripting must be enabled to navigate.

GF

Last edited: Dec 19, 2004
  12. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i think it might have something to do with the big red letters that spell out activex :rolleyes:

13. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello all,

I can say for sure that there is NO activeX used on Wilders. An ActiveX control can be automatically downloaded and executed by a Web browser. Wilders in no way downloads any executable activeX controls to your web browser. ActiveX is used by legitimate processes like windows update or most online virus scans. Also activeX is a way for spyware and/or adware to enter your computer. Programs like SpywareBlaster stop this by setting kill bits in the registry to prevent the activeX controls from downloading and running. HERE is a good basic definition of activeX.

I do not know what you are picking up as activeX but I can say there is none on this site. You can IM or e-mail (addy in profile) me with the user names you click on that triggers the warnings and I will take a look, if you want.

HTH....

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2004
  14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

As some have alluded to....if your wanting to be taken seriously in a Security Forum....you might consider typing your posts a little more appropriately. While some may take the time to figure your shorthand out....others will simply pass your posts and threads by....there by missing out on your useful comments.

Why don't ppl just have a dabble n c 4 themselves
    Why don't people just have a dabble and see for themselves.

Is it really that hard to be a little comprehensible ?

Otherwise you might just as well post in our Ten Forward Forum....where goofyness is understood.

15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I respect Spanner's right to communicate how he/she sees fit. But.... I find his posts very hard to read, so I simply don't bother. If he/she is seeking help on something that I might be able to help with he/she is the one who loses.

16. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I resemble that remark!

I also have to skip over his/her postings, haven't got the time to try and figure them out, course, I'm no expert in ActiveX so probably couldn't offer much anyways. :doubt:

Acadia

17. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i think you are wrong, it's not an activex control, but the pretty stuff that glows activex which he is being prompted for. i might be wrong, thats just what i think anyway.
    if he goes to this page he will be prompted there too.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  18. puff-m-d

I do not quite understand what you are saying. In order for activeX to function, the website must download to your computer via your browser. The only thing that Wilders downloads to your computer is the cookies used for logging in (and of course the actual web pages itself). Nothing else is downloaded to your computer. I am not wrong in saying that activeX is not used on this forum. There may be some scripting used and that is what he is being alarmed about, but whatever is alarming him to activeX is wrong...... If you think it is activeX and you allow it, it shows up as a O16 or DPF (downloaded program file) in a HJT scan. If you do a scan both before and after the activeX, it will show up in HJT if you allow it.

19. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If I purposely remove Wilders from my Trusted Zone....which then makes Wilders adhere to my Internet Zone settings(high settings)....and then visit that link your referencing....I do not receive any kind of ActiveX warning.

My question to you would be....are you sure your not receiving an Active script warning....instead of an ActiveX warning....which are different.

20. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

have you tried allowing it yet? you might see it if you do.

21. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

sorry Bubba and Puff i didnt see your posts. when i first came to wilders i always had those alerts, until Jooske told me it was safe to put wilders in the trusted zone, which i did. the alerts where for posts that had [glow=green] and [shadow=blue] in them which i think need activex to work. if you allow it you see the glow and shadow, if you dont allow it you dont. i have never see glow or shadow when i have used FF.

22. Oremina

Oremina Registered Member

Whilst Spanner may have the "right" to express himself in whatever gibberish and/or gobbledygook he sees fit, he should at least have the courtesy to bear in mind that:-

a) this is not a text message to his mates on his mobile phone and, (far more importantly)

b) not every member of Wilders (or lurker) has English as his mother tongue.`

This gibberish must be completely incomprehensible to them and very, very frustrating for them to try and make sense of. It's difficult enough for those of us for whom English is our native language.

It is not a question of RIGHTS, it is simply a matter of courtesy and consideration for other people.

23. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i checked out your link. and from that link, if you click on the word activex on the page, you get to this page.
    i dont think you need to download anything for it to work. it not controls he's being prompted for. im sure Bubba will know the answer, thats all i can say.

EDIT jooske may know, she always uses glow and shadow

24. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Are you meaning GLOW tags and SHADOW tags around selected text ?

25. puff-m-d

I can set my IE options to prompt for everything and no matter where I go or do here on Wilders, I NEVER get prompted asking to let activeX to run. You have to be thinking of scripting which can enhance and make the pages more interactive. I can see the glow and shadows fine in FF and in IE with activeX disabled. I agree with Bubba's post earlier that it must be scripting that you are talking about as there is no activeX here.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.